Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Settling in a bit.


This Cross is pretty neat with the background, it is the grill on an airconditioner unit.
I know this is going to sound kind of crazy but I am nervous about this job. Not nervous about my abilities to lead but about the paticulars about the job. Everything is Military drivin. There is so much that I just don't know.
I am trying to learn a new language, they speak in acronyms all the time. Everything is shortened to a few letters and then sounded back out to make a word. I don't know if it really shortens conversations to much but it must serve some practical purpose. I know that it would confuse any enemy that may be listening.
Also I have to learn rancks and positions of everyone. I will meet with the Military several times a week for briefings, I would tell you what they are called but it is another acronym. Anway, evryone has a rank that I just can't understand. My fall back is Sir and Mam, but not knowing who is the boss can get you in to trouble. Yesterday the man I thought was in charge was not, it was the man that wasn't talking and just listening that was in charge. It must be something to be the boss and have others do all the talking for you during meetings.
Then there is just the stuff of the job. The contract obligations. The who does what and why stuff. What forms and information needs to be kept and gathered. All that weighs in and becomes strange. It is just a little outside of what I did before that it is like learning everything all over again.
Many of the people here are very different and different backgrounds. I have been around swearing and crudness before but some of this is way beyond normal work stuff. The attitudes on life and love are different and it becomes an accentuated view of how truly this world is fallen.
I know that it is also difficult for the man I am replacing. He is retired Military 20 years and has done this for nine more. He knows what he is doing an here I come as his replacement. He actually shakes his head. He has built a great team here and I will need to rely on them in the begining. People and process. I know people it is the process that I will have to learn.
This is way outside of my comfort zone. As a matter of fact this entire trip has been outside of my comfort zone. Yet I continue to do my very best. I continue to move forward, eyes wide open, to see what the Lord has in store for me next.
My work here is the primary reason I am here but the Lords work is my primary purpose. As I am stretched with the daily grind I am stretched and then blessed by the Lord. Yesterday I was able to have four conversations regarding my faith with people here. I was able to in a small way be a light and show some of Christs love and work through my actions, or inactions. This for me becomes at the end of the day what I can hang my hat on. This is why I can look forward to the next day.
I will be as successful as I can be. I will pour my heart into the work because it is my duty as a Christian but I will also pour my soul into the Lords work because that is why I am here and I trust Him in that.
Each day look for both in your life, the opportunity to be stretched at your job and the opportunity to be stretched by the Lord. He will use you in both circumstances if you trust Him.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Mike! It's that perspective that will get you through. (and prayer ;-))

    ReplyDelete