Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Haves and the Have Nots.

I am staying in Tent Fox #2 room #2. I thought that sounded cool for some reason. The tent is approximately one hundred feet long and hs two long hallways dividing three living sections. The hallways run from front to back. My room is in the front left corner. This may be hard to imagine but they build plywood walls to make the rooms. Mine happens to have a door that can be locked with a pad lock when I leave. The room itself is apprximately 7 X 6 and I have a bunk bed in there so, yes, I could eventually get a room mate. Yesterday I was able to scounge up a small wooded, three box cubby and a plywood table about two feet high and two feet wide. The chair is a short stool so my legs fit under the desk. Trust me it did not come from staples and I don't know the last owner. I also have no light as of yet and the AC does not seem to make it to my corner.

When I first got to the room, I was disappointed. I thought, I deserve better than this. I am somebody important here, the Transportation Manager. It started to get into my head that I would ask to switch rooms. I even heard that Supervisors had rooms right by the main office. How could that be! Anyway, I stayed. I figured I could not complain until I stayed there at least one night.

That first night after reading my bible by flashlight I went to look around the tent. As I got to the other hallway I realized that the other half of the tent had no room dividers. The entire opposite side, except for the wall along the hallway was a single room full of bunkbeds and men. Each had about 18 inches between them and the row was diveded by about two feet. It was hot and noisy, you could imagine. As I walked back to my room I realized that there was no reason for me to complain, I actually had it better than most people here. I asked God to make my heart content and appologized for my attitude.

God works in some glorious ways. Last night I was asked to go locate and ascess the heavey equipment licenses of some of the TCN's (Third Country Nationals) that work for the company. At 21:00 I walked into one of the tents they are housed in. I was shocked. The entire tent was open room, no dividers. There was four rows of bunks with the ones in the middle back to back. The spacing was similar to the one in my tent. I counted approximatelt 160 men. No privacy, nothing.

It may be hard to realize, it took me a minute, but for some of these men this is better than what the came from. They have come here to make better lives for their families back home. They are content because this is an opportunity they wouldn't otherwise have. Think about this.

God will if you allow him show you things that you would never had seen before. God will in stark ways show you how to appreciate the blessings that He has provided you. It is not that I believe that it is wrong that I have so much back in the states, that I even have more than most here, it is that others do not.

God wants us to be good stewards of what He has given us and help those who have little. Find your opportunities...

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing what God can teach us if we open ourselves to his teaching. God be with you Mike.

    John K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, What We Knew of Life, Can Often Turn on a dime, when we check out other cultures & ways. What seemed totally correct for years, suddenly has all new perspective to it. Glad you got yourself a desk of sorts. Sounds perfect, small as it is, considering, if it were any larger, it may not fit it into the room space. Imagine spending like days or weeks, in the field & living out of your pack & pockets, sleeping in your hat & boots. I agree with JLK, Being Open, Opens. Hope the tent has A/C to help sleeping, recovering & all.

    Blessings & Keep Your Leatherneck Ready, Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Mike! That is so true. Lord, help us to appreciate what we have, not grumble over what we don't have, and use what we DO have to serve others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesus said, "The poor you will always have with you." That being so, therefore, we will also always have the rich! There is always going to be the rich and the poor, the haves and the have-nots, etc.! no matter how poor you are, there is always someone poorer; no matter how rich you are, there is always someone richer.

    What a vain thing it is to find our worth in our material status or to judge others by their outward appearance/belongings!

    How we need to find that place of contentment where Paul laid his head: "I have learned in whatever state I am to be content." Phil. 4:11

    I remember dear Sister Allison, a very elderly widow who went to our little country church down in Virginia. She had none of the material trappings that many others have. She lived alone in a tiny trailer on the backside of a corn field. Often without running water. Often without visits from children or grandchildren. And yet many times I would come into the church to turn on the lights and she would already be there: just sitting alone in the pew, praying and worshiping God.....

    I believe she will have a place of honor far above many others in the kingdom of heaven....

    Thanks for such interesting posts, Mike! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. David,

    Thank you for your wisdom and thought. I so appreciate you and your continued mentoring.

    ReplyDelete