Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Happy Bus!

Here on KAF there are vehicles everywhere, and for every use. For the men that work the outbound yard they have there own bus to get them back and forth from the tents and lunch. It looks almost like a tiny Greyhound Bus. It is very cramped as the seats are small and then there are fold down seats in the walkway. Everybody enters through a door on the side. To give you a good visual, it will seat 40 and is not much bigger than a Ford Excursion.

Yesterday, we all crammed in the bus to go to lunch. I sit in the first seat inside the door facing everybody as it has the most room and in case of an emergency I want to be able to get out quick. This ride tends to be very quiet, nobody talks, and everybody looks sad. Opportunity for me, most of you know that I can not keep quiet for to long. I began to sing and dance and tell the men that they were all sad and that we needed to make our bus the Happy Bus. We needed to bring some happiness to our commute so that people would look and say, "Hey there goes the Happy Bus"

John began to play a song through the PA System, I guess this is normally some kind of tour bus. The song translated, that we should raise a banner to the Lord. Most of the men began to smile, yes probably because this was goofy to them, also because it is interaction and fun in a generally hard day. It was fun and I enjoyed entertaining them.

At the end of the day, as they pile into the bus to leave we go out and say good bye to them all. Noticing the worn out faces I stuck my head in the window and said, "Why all of the sad faces, aren't you all on the happy bus?" I then went to the front and took the PA Mic and loudly welcome them on board and asked them to enjoy their commute home. The smiles came back and they began to liven up a bit. It brought some joy back to them.

How many times I allowed myself to be down and somber on my commute. How many times I dreaded going to work and sometimes going home. Traffic could make the blood boil especially when dinner was waiting or Harrison having a baseball game, Anna and soccer practice.

Remember to make your own Happy Bus, it is a much better drive that way.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mike,
    Maybe when this job is over you can start a third career as an entertainer or something. Were you actually dancing??
    Pop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was, in my seat but yes. Where I sit is a little higher in the front. I was getting my grove on and making some hand gestures as if raising the banner to the Lord.

    I think it is too easy for people to get into a funk, as I did, and just move through the day without any joy. This is a Nato Base but in some regards it is very primative. It can get the better of you.

    We are to find the joy in all things. This was included in the definition of all I figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your action sounds sooo much like something my crazy Marine son, Caleb, would do..... The world needs such Energizer Bunnies to keep the rest of us laughing and moving ahead! God bless!

    ReplyDelete