Thursday, July 1, 2010

New meaning to Praise and Worship.

Last night we had the first rocket attack since I have arrived here at Kandahar Air Field (KAF). The first alarm occurred as I was reading my bible in the conference room. I hit the floor and began counting. Your are supposed to wait two minutes before you go to the bunker. I then stood up, closed the Bible for some reason and grabbed my I Pod and went to the bunker. They are basically constructed out of T Walls (like big construction barricades with concrete roofs). They are located everywhere so you do not have to go far. Once there I placed my head phones in my ears and began to listen to It Is Well by Kutless and began to pray for every ones safety. I was less scared then I would have expected. After about 10 minutes the all clear sounded and I returned to the Conference Room, it is the only quiet private place I can find.

About 15 minutes later as I spoke to Catherine the second alarm went off. Do you know how difficult it is to explain that you have to go and hit the floor within three seconds without sounding rude. Basically the same thing, different song.

The last one occurred when I had returned to my CHU (Containerized Housing Unit, you say it as a word not as letters. Sounds like you are sneezing) I had just gotten into my bunk, top, and was talking to my room mate when the alarm went off again. This time by the time I hit the floor, it is a long way down when you are in a hurry, I heard the explosion. This time, grabbing my I Pod again, i made my way to the bunker. Different this time was the smoke coming about three hundred yards away near the air field. this time I was a little more into my prayer.

As time moved on I thought about having Church on my own in a bunker. The others around me had their own things at the time but I found an opportunity to Praise Him and thank Him for what He has done for me and my family.

We can have Church at anytime. Worship Him at anytime. Praise Him during good times and times of struggle.

As you fellowship be thankful for those around you, for what the Lord has provided you and to the security that we enjoy in America.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes! Did they tell you about this when you signed up? I mean multi-times a day rocket strikes? I kind of thought that would be rare where they had you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is pretty common here. Last night tyhere were two in a row. We did not even get out of the bunker from the first one. I am kind of enjoying it as I can play music or listen to the Bible and just hang out and pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, brother Mike! Ben has related to us about different attacks he has experienced -similar scenarios as yours. Thank the Lord that you can commit your way to Him, trust in His provision, and experience His peace - even in the midst of the attack!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, the hardest part I think is staying on the ground for two minutes. It feels like an eternety. I think because I am always on the go, with no time to wait. We want things ASAP all the time. I know I have not waited a full two minutes yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes you think about eternity. Life for any of us or our loved ones can be gone in an instant! So what really matters?

    ReplyDelete