Friday, July 30, 2010

A CHU!

#
#
#####
#
#
#
#
I had to improvise today as I am not able to upload any of the images that I have. I am gathering quite a collection of pictures.


I want to start of by saying that it is 0430 in the morning as I write this. I am sitting outside on the common deck, it is 73 degrees and I am freezing! There was a time when the warmest I would like it to be was 75 dgrees. Wow.

I am outside this morning writing, instead of on my bed, as I now have twenty tent mates that I did not have yesterday. They are part of seventy new workers coming in to camp yesterday and tomorrow. This camp is expanding and therefore the need for more hands. These men are primarily from India and the Phillippines, but there are some from other parts.

As I back up a minute, I will tell you that since I have been here there has been discussion about the sleeping arrangements of the ExPats. There are new CHU's available which usually means that everybody gets to upgrade as Managers and Supervisors fill into the Chu's. I had it pretty well in a large tent with just one other person, but my expectation was that I would, as a Manager move to a CHU.

Yesterday, before the TCN's came in, I went and spoke to the Camp Manager regarding when I would move to a CHU. He explained to me that because they didn't know that I was coming they did not have one available. That they had "already" determined who would be where. Yes, my BS Radar went up. Also my little voice in my head said, he is feeding you a line of crud. Instead of pointing this out I asked about any other rooms, possibly like I had at Leatherneck. After a little oh wells and we will see what we can do I just told him to do what he could. Boy was I upset. I actually went and wrote a couple of emails to Catherine and David asking for some clarity for me.

At lunch I was just running this around in my head. I knew that seventy people were coming and that I would have my tent full. I also figured that the best I would do is have a plywood room here at the Camp until more CHU's were built. I knew that I could make a call and complain that employees that were not supposed to have the CHU's had them and that I was not given what I deserved by position.

As I was waiting for my MRE to warm I sat at my makeshift desk and began to read my Bible. Just a few minutes in my mind flipped back to the issue at had. I sat and starred for a minute and then realized that I should stay right where I was. That there was no reason that I had to go anywhere. I thought that the Lord has brought me here to serve Him and to be at a minimum a good example of Him to others, to be a light. I felt that in this tent I could give to these men more than if I were not there. I felt that I could show the other ExPats that it is not the most important thing to have a CHU, that status symbol of my position. I also felt that I was only doing this once and then going back to my nice house and nice room and bed and that was more than any of these men may ever hope to have. I did not want to cheat myself of this experience.

I prepared the tent for the arrival of the men by sweeping and straightening up the beds. As they came I tried to welcome them into the tent. These new hires are no oriented like you know back in the states. They are very much left on their own and very few speak good english so you can see that they are confused by everything. Many of them are hired by agancies and they are wisked away very quickly. I have seen some arrive with only a few small shopping bags of stuff and generally they are here for two to three years per contract.

As I went back from lunch I returned to the Camp Managers office and told him to forget about moving me that I was fine where I was. He looked at me very queerly and asked me if I was sure. I said yes, and he asked again. Yes I am fine there. I told Him that when he had a chance I would sit and explain it to him. He said ok and thanked me. I did ask him for a favor, since I had good opportunity to barder. I asked Him if he could have some benches made for me to put into the bunker as me and a few friends need a quiet place to pray. He answered with certainly.

So I sit outside now, in the cold, so that I do not wake up anybody in my tent. As I write I think about Christs words. Be an light unto the world, a beeken on a hill. Who hides the lamp, put it up on a lampstand.

I pray for a few things, that the foolish wonder why I have not moved and argued for a CHU. That those with false pride are convicted by it. That the seekers ask me and that wise understand. I ask God to bring my fullest understanding of the lives of those in my tent and that I may be used by Him in their lives.

3 comments:

  1. oops..I posted my comment on the wrong day! Look at yesterday. Sorry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, another passage comes to my mind here, "...Those who are exhaulted will be humbled, and those who are humbled will be exhaulted.....". Just like you have always done in your life, you are making every minute count. The running joke among you and all of us is, the countdown until you return. But as it appears you are already making a difference in the lives of those around you there. You brought your light, and have turned up the brightness. Somehow that countdown will find it's place and get tucked away until it's over. And thanks for giving me the actual link for the blog so I could find it.... God bless brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tony. I hope all is well with you. Now that you found it keep on posting.

    ReplyDelete