Monday, July 26, 2010

Helicopter ride anyone?

The Flight Engineer pointed this out to me as we flew over it at 5,000 feet or so. It is about two thrids of the way from Kandahar to Shindand. Way cool, and big.
I am now in Shindand, I little FOB about 100 miles from the Iranian border. They have this base here so that it can support the smaller outposts nearer the border that protect against traffic from Iran. When I say small, it is small. Primarily all Alaska tents with bunk beds and very few hard structures.
I woke up today at 1:45 thinking that I would catch a bus to Stallion Ramp at 2:15, no bus. My flight was due to leave at 0515 but I didn't get in the air until 8:30 so I sat for a while. Now we tend to complain in our airports about waiting, at Stallion ramp the best you can do is a wooden bench and most of the soldiers were sitting on the ground.
I will tell you that I have been struggling again the last few days and my mind has not been of good sorts. I found it very difficult to leave Kandahar knowing I was going somewhere more remote, more difficult to get out of. For some reason I had settled when I was in Leatherneck but that changed when I left. I sat and prayed alot while I waited. I thought about David Eames words he wrote me in an email. I read, all to try to relieve the ache that still remains in my stomach.
Anyway, at 0830 I baorded what the Flight Engineer called a Huey on Steriods along with two Soldiers. I was able to get a window seat and sat in great anticipation for the flight. Ethan had told me that flying in Helicopters was his favorite way to fly, that he loved it so I looked forward to the experience.
The flight Engineer then went through the pre flight lecture, alomost like a Stewardess but with a little different spin. He proceeded to tell the soldiers that they could have their clips in but nothing in the chamber. To keep the muzzles pointing down or out at all times. Then incase we have to land in a NonFOB area, code for unfriendly territory, wait for the rotors to stop and then exit the aircraft and lock and load. OK, what about me I am thinking. If we go down hard and the Flight Engineer is injured we are to grab the first aid kit and the radio beacon as we exit. The second helicopter will radio for help and then land and get us if possible. There was not one thing about seatbelts, emergency exits or oxygen masks.
Ok so that out of the way, we take off and like Ethan said, it was great. I finally got to see Kandahar City and the surounding areas. I was expecting some big buildings but it wasn't like that. It was the traditional housing, more placed together, with lots of green farm lands around each one.
The flight took an hour and fifty minutes and flew over many different types of terrian. It was cool. I couldn't help but be facinated with how these people can survive in such areas. Mainly around water sources, but some seemingly in the middle of nowhere. We humans are resiliant, and inobvative. We can make something from nothing and thrive while doing it. God and His wonderful plan has given us everything we need to survive practically anywhere.
I will give it a go here. Make my mark in this base and in this land if I can. I have come here to work while I preach the Gospel of Christ. I know that He will provide me what I need and only give me what I can handle, I must live that knowledge. I must continue on because His Glory will be revealed everyday that I remain in my Faith.
Pray for me.

4 comments:

  1. Mike

    Let's hope that you can settle in here and get to work doing whatever Transportation Manager is supposed to do. You don't do well just sitting around. Once you get into it, I know you will feel much more settled. Quite a ride in the helicopter I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pop.

    Also would like to say hello to Harrison and Bluecat. Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, I like your thought about the resiliency of mankind. Pretty amazing how we adapt and, as you wrote, not just survive but thrive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. David,

    It is funny that I note the resiliancy of man yet I struggle some days in my curent circumstance.

    ReplyDelete