Friday, April 1, 2011

We Need Our Own Showers

I will start off today by letting you know that I do know know why the paragraghs have not been in place on the last few posts. My wife pointed this out, as it is difficult to read in single paragraph form, and I have tried to correct it on my end. We will see what happens today.


Today I was engauged in a conversation with an employee of mine. He asked if we could talk after the morning meeting in private. Of course I must allow my employees the opportunity to be heard so I went outside with him so that he had privacy, one on one. What followed, unfortunately, is the point of view of many people here.


This man began by telling me that something needs to be done about the FN's ( Foriegn Nationals) washing their clothes in the sinks and showers. That they are not listening or following the rules. So, ok, this is a valid point. It is unhealthy for the camp, with so many people, to have this happening. This has also been an ongoing issue for us since I have been here.


I responded to this gentlemen in this way. First, please, if you see anyone doing this ask them to stop if you can. If not, you can let them know that they can come see us and we can give them additional socks and underwear, even clothing if they need it. I then stated that if he did not want to do that that he could get a name and report it to the Camp Manager and he would take care of it. At this point the man was shaking his head. Then he stated, that won't work, it hasn't stopped it yet, they just don't listen.


I then explained that we inform everyone that this is not allowed however some people only have a few personal items and they can't therefore put them into the laundry. That even though it is wrong, what choice do they have. He stated that they just don't know any better. Well, then I will go to the Camp Manager, I said, and at todays all hands meeting we will ask him to reiterate the rules. Again the man said that, that has been done and it won't work.


Ok, now I am seeing where this is going. I ask again, that if the man would like to send the gentlemen to me I will try to give them additional items... The head shaking again starts. What? I ask. Nobody does anything about it and I am forced to have to put up with this, he says. I asked, to put up with what? Their disgusting habits. Ok, so what do you suggest be done about it? We should have our own shower the man states. Now if you haven't realized by now the man was an American and the them referrred to anybody who was not.


Now I tried to explain to him that there was no way that the Company could segregate people based on race, that that was discriminatory and just won't happen. To this the man said, see, I knew nothing would be done, I shouldn't have said anything. To this i stated again what we could do, what he could do and what the Management could do. Without me even finishing again he began shaking his head and repeated that he was being forced to put up with this.


Ok, I understand the difference between forcing someone to do something and them chosing. Now in my broad perspect on this issue I gave him this response. You are not being forced to do anything. Yes it was a little bait as I know what he was going to say. Yes I am being forced! Is aid know, you have a choice. What choice? I said you chose to come here and you can chose to leave. I said you also have a choice if you want to try to help or not. To this he was not paticulary happy, trust me I said it nicely.


See, Mike, I knew you wouldn't understand. To this I responded, no I do understand, what you really want is your own shower and no matter what answer I gave you, nothing would have satisfied you. I reiterated that I had given him several solutions and ways that he could help but he did not want to listen. I think that he began to see that he had done this, but pride keeps people from the truth sometimes. To this he said never mind, you guys won't do anything anyway.


Ok, one last chance here. I said to him, if you would like we can go to the Camp Manager and you can explain this to him, if you don't think that I am understanding you. No, why do I have to go to the Camp Manager? See, he didn't want to put skin in the game. Easier to drop it in my lap and have me do his bidding rather then step up himself. Oh, come on, I can set up a meeting and you can explain to him how the camp is not doing a good job on this. No, Mike, I don't need to see the Camp Manager. This was a waste of time. He was right there.


It is very unfortunate that this is the attitude of so many, especially the Expats. There is a sense of entitlement about them, arrogance in a sense that they are better in some way then the men they work with. I am not deniing the cultural differences, but one being better or worse then another just is unacceptable. These men are from countries that do things differently then we do, that have been raised differently, that accept things that are different. It does not men thatthey are below me in anyway, only different and I should not assume that my way is better.

That is what this man was doing, discriminating against another.


Now even though the man walked away, I did the right thing and brought the matter to the attention of the Camp Management. At the all hands meeting the issue was discussed with all the employees so that everyone understood the policy in regards to washing of their clothes. The offer was also made that anybody requireing socks and underware could go to the Operations office and be given some. After the meeting the man came up and thanked me for handling it and appologized for how he handled it.


I guess where this has all come to is this, if in your heart you feel that you are any better then anybody that is less fortunate then you or has different cultural habits then you, then think twice. We are all different and that is ok, but better or worse, deserving more or less, or seen as lower is not right. If you are someone who feels that way then next time why not try to be part of a solution then continuing the problem. If you are not like this, then when you see bias happening, correct it.


1 comment: