Saturday, April 30, 2011

Movie Night

Last night was DynCorp Camp Shindand first movie night. The IT guys were finally got their projector in and the side of the twenty foot Finance Conex made the perfect screen. They piggy backed in a going away party for Walley as he is being temporarily being assigned to another Camp for a short project.




The set up was very nice. The carpenters put together several benches for everyone to sit on. The picnic tables were set in the back for the food, hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken. BBQ Grill of to the back so it wasn't in the way. The guys even hooked up three complete speaker systems to give the surround sound feel that you would get back home. As Walley said, "this is a good set up."




The evening started with the BBQ and shortly into it the Base Command showed up, not to be a hinderance but to come enjoy some time with us. Here was The Full Bird Colonel, The Lt. Colonel and their enterage, spending time with all of us. Now I know these men from being here for so long and working from one time or another with them, but many of the guys don't, so it was nice to see them conversing with various people.




I started taking pictures of everyone, kinda portrait style, yes even the Colonels and other Military as I love to have the close ups of the faces. What I realized as I did this is that these are the peopel that have been my around me for a year. This was my community, my circle of life that in one way or another I shared something with, a part of me. Then I put it in a bigger perspective, these are the people that my life as a Christian can and did impact. For better or worse these were the people that I wittnessed to in my life while I was here.




Sitting now and writing about it, thinking of there faces, I can imagine the opportunities that God gave me to be used by Him, to speak His name. I also thought about all the times that I probably didn't say anything. The point is that in my camera and over this past year, were the people that the Lord would have me be a light to. That I have documented all the potential Disciples, all the sown seeds, all the opportunities seized and even those lost from this past year. Those potos will forever be a reminder of who I am in Jesus Christ.




So as the son set, The purpose of the Military visit became apperent. they had come bnot only to have some food, byut to Honor the Camp Management and paticularly Walley, for their contributions to the building of Shindand Air Base. I got chocked up at he speaches of each Officer as they included the work of all that were there in the support of the troops. It was very nice, and for me, I realized also that in some way my time here made a difference to the soldiers that defend my rights as an American, and defend the right of all who have come to this Camp in that support.




So with the formalities of the Certificates and hand shakes given, over. It was time for the movie. The Mechanic was the movie of choice. Good pick in my opinion as it was full of action which spans the gap of cultures better then a comedy. the seats and standing room only filled up and for the next hour and a half we sat out under the stars and watched a movie together as a community. I thought back to themovie nights that I had in the tent with the DFAC waorkers, hudled around a small computer screen, and now this. Incredible!




I think as my time draws to a close here I am going through some additional emotions, seeing things in a different way. This is good as I am reflecting on everything that I have done in this year. The ups and downs, hardships and joys. In everything there is a season, and I am seeing all of them I think.




Lord, keep watch over all who are within this Camp. It is truly community as is any other, diverse and unique. These are all your children and I thank you for the opportunities that I have had and the ones that are yet to come. Watch over my family and all who read this today.


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment