Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lack Anything?

"When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?"

Luke 22:35


This can go right to the heart of the matter, looks right into your perspective on faith, on Jesus Christ and God. You say how, it is almost a confusing question, but it is not, it speaks right to our faith in the provision of God in our lives and I think the strength of our faith as Christians.


When I left my job after fifteen years to begin the journey of working for the Lord. In many regards, the worldly non Christian view it was crazy, leaving a well paying job in a bad economy. Chasing your faith, without anything to go on. I remember Catherine and I praying in the living room, Gods will for our lives, at the end she turned to me and said "you know, God's will may be that we end up on the streets with nothing." She was right, in some sense, but in another she was not. In this passage Jesus is in essence saying that I sent you out weak and underprepared, but you were ok.


So after six months of looking for work, through family connections I was able to get this job here in Afghanistan. I will tell you that I was very unprepared in many ways. I had no prior Military experience. I did not ever work away from my family before. I had never even been in a conflict area or anything such as this in my life. Heck, I like camping but only for a short period of time. This was different for me. But I had purpose, and some faith in the provision of God and the leading of Jesus Christ. If anything else there was opportunity. We also would not be on the street, at this time.

When Christ sent out the Disciples He sent them out in sets of two to preach the word to those that needed to hear it. There was no big planning meeting, and think tank session, He sent them out with the basics to fullfill the Fathers work. I can imagine that this was a test of faith in some respects also. Jesus gave them basic instructions and sent them off. Not telling that they could come back, or to write if they got into trouble, but go and do the work that I ask you to do.


Here in this passage Jesus is reminding the Disciples of this fact, that when He had sent them even though they had little, they all returned, they lacked nothing. Verse 22:36 "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." here now they have become seasoned, experienced, the times had changed and they would need more to keep on going. Christ was, in a few days, about to be betrayed, tried, and crucified. True testing of faith was to come, spiritual warfare was at hand.


Catherine and I a year ago, saw things differently then I believe that we see them now. Our faith in the power and Glory of God has strengthend tremendously. We are far from "Super Christians" but I will tell you that there is very little that we do not try to turn back to him in our lives. Each of our dependance on him went has grown from simply walking in faith to battle for our faith. We do not simply rely on the worlds standards but seek to give each instance to Him, be it the kids, work, life, financial descsions. Each are of our lives is an opportunity to glorify Him.


See, a year and a half ago, would could have ended up on the streets. In our minds we saw that as potentially the worst thing that could happen to us. As in verse 36, now we would be more prepared to focus on the Spiritual battle and the blessings of God that would come form the opportunity to glorify Him. We have realized that the circumstance of our lives is not what matters but the place where our heart is focussed that will see us through. That in all things, even the worst of things we must always glorify God.


God will provide everything that you need in your life. The circumstance that you live in, the provisions that are either given or taken away are all from Him. You can venture out with little or much, but your faith is what will see you through ultimately. If we stick to the worlds standards we would only see the material aspect, the spiritual is what will, however matter most.


The Disciples were now prepared, more so, then when He had first sent them out. Now they would have to maintain themselves without Him. Nothing to return to, no Master to see to them. They were prepared, and stronger and ready in Jesus eyes, for the tougher journey to come.


Lord Jesus, allow those that read this to understand that you do provide for the needs of all who truly seek you. It may seem foolishness to the weak at heart but the material things of this world will not sustain them, only accepting and seeking you sacrifice and love will. May those who don't know you, find you abnd call you Lord and those that do know you be strengthened by you even more. In your glory I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment