Sunday, January 9, 2011

Those That Serve Our Troops

"He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack: but he that hideth his eyes shall have many a curse." Proverbs 28:27

I dedicate this post to my father Phillip and mother Sharon. Who's hearts for the poor are growing bigger everyday. I am thankful for the Holy Spirit working in their lives and pray for the day that they know the living God Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

Over the time that I have been here my parents, and others, have sent items from the states for me to give to the men here at the camp that have little. If you read back over past posts you will know that many men have come here from around the world to serve our troops and make a better life for themselves.

Leaving their homes with very little they have come here in the expectations of fair wages and adequate housing and living for themselves. Many came here with very much miore then they could carry in small bags. Some I have seen arrive with only grocery bags of clothes hoping that they would be given uniforms and clothing by the Companies they work for. Many times this is not the case.

Socks and underwear seem to be items that they have little of, many having to wash socks each night so that they have some to wear the next day. Warm coats, even sweat sirts are scarce for some thinking that they were coming to a warm climate and not needing anything much. Desert evenings cool off quickly, and the winters can be as bitter as in the United States without the snow. Unprepared describes it best.

As far as buying additional items, understand that many of the men have saved and spent up to 3,000 US dollars for these jobs. Some men had been scammed and stuck for months in Kuwait and Dubia until they could save additional funds to pay agents for new jobs. Most money they have is sent home to support families, that need food more then they need coats. What choice would you make?

On my heart has always been these men. I am draw to them moreso then any others on the base. I have lived with them in the tents and eaten with them at meal time. We are all the same in our reason to be here, work, but drastically different in our economic standing. The average Ex Pat (American) will make $80,000 and up to $300,000. The Foriegn National workers, working along side the ExPats will make an average of $3.00 to $12.00 an hour. To not then help where help is most needed is for me a sin.

With this, my parents, my wife, and some friends have supplied me continiously with items for these men. things that we take for granted that to them are a blessing. Socks so that you can put your dirty pair in the laundry and still have a pair to wear. Underwear so you don't have to wash the pair that you have in the shower with you when you bath. Body wash, because wet soap doesn't travel well around here. Hats and coats as the temperature can dip into the teens at night and early morning. Bed sheets, so you can get off of the dirty mattress. These things we all should have, they have sent .

Everyday the camp expands. When I arrived there were 230 people working for my Company here. Now there are five hundred and twenty and eighty percent are Foriegn National. Within the next two months there will be seven hundred and thirty. The needs will increase along with this. For those that serve our troops we need to take care, for they also

So my father has kicked the efforts up a notch. His heart has steered him to the bigger works for God, not that he knows it. My father will place an article in his local newspaper seeking people to open their hearts and send items for these men. He is trying to make things better for men that he will never meet other than in pictures. He is trying to giveth unto the poor so they shall not lack. May God see his heart and send His Spirit out from his words into the hearts of others.

Please pray for this effort. Please pray for the poor all around the world who need somone to reach out to them, even in a small way, so their lives can be better. Please pray for my mother and father, that they are blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Mike. Maybe you could give me a little more info. What is the best use of time and funds? To buy stuff here and send packages to you? Or maybe to send you money so you can buy things right there for the men? Something else? Let me know....

    Funny - you wanted to get into humanitarian work, didn't you?

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother David,
    I have not worked it out to that much detail. the one store here that has some of that stuff is expensive, up to $40.00 for the blankets he carries. I know at Wall Mart you can get a coats, socks, sheet sets and thinks and shipping is .99 per item (APO's are US addresses) so it may be cheaper in some cases to ship direct from the states. Catherines sent six coats, hats, and gloves for $11.00. I will loook into it and see what I can come up with.

    In any event, yes I did, and this is a marvelous opportunity to touch peoples lives. God has wrapped up all of the things that I hold close in one place. Praise God.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete