Friday, January 14, 2011

Roll er Over













Today I am getting a late start yet again. It is now 12:10 and I am just sitting daown to write this post.. That is ok in this instance as our MHE Department came to the rescue of the Military this morning.






Yesterday just around 1600, Col. Manning, Capt Johnson and Sgt. Canaday came into the office looking for me. They needed help. The local crane contractor who was setting T -Walls by the Field Hospital had dumped the crane over. Not only did they dump the crane ove they layed it overr thye truck that was carrying the T-Walls.






So there were no issues and to manty people running around Col Manning had sent the contractor and all of their men out of the camp. She did not want any extra people running around getting in the way, especially the guys who had dumped the crane in the first place. Sounded good to me, I just thought of how many other people might want to be around as we drove up to the site.






So last night we all, along with my Crane Operator, went up to look at what had happened. When we arrived sure enogh there was a small twenty five ton crane lieing over the top of the bed of the truck. It had bee working within feet of the Operating Room so the concern was if it would roll back and possible continue to roll into the O.R. We noticed within a few minutes that the Operator had never put the outriggers out on the side that he fell to. He skipped a step and paid for it.






So last night it was determined that as far as it had rolled over and how it was sitting that we would come back in the morning a get it back up for them. That is what we did today. With a large audience and it went smothly.






Now the Commander did show up for a little while. He was all cheerful, maybe because he didn't have to deal with this at his level. When he came up to me he stated that this would be easier to handle with some C4 but it was a little close to the hospital. Urah! So we continued on with our plans of using two Cranes and some of the PLS's to lift and roll the crane back over.






Now we staretd at 0900, really it was 0700, but we told the Military 0900 so they would not show up while we ran the bulldozerr around clearing the area of shrubs and ditches. But like clock work around 0900 all the spectators showed up to see us upright the crane. We even had the helicopter piolets standing on Conex's next store to see what we were doing. Good size crowd of people for a while, but they mostly left as time worn on as we were not going to do this without getting it right.






So after some long thought, and much debate with my crew the plan was established and the eqyuipment set up to roll the crane. By this time most of the Military had left and we were ready to go. Slowly, much to the dismay of Col Manning as I think she was still so angry at the Contractor that she wanted us to just flip it over. But it moved, safely and slowly until it landed back on its feet again.






I will say right now that it went beutifully, as planned and the crane sat down so softly that it did not make a sound. Col Manning was happy and we had done our job. My part of it primarily oversight as I know when to leave things to my men. But it was good, real good.






So anyway, that is why this is late. Cool, regular stuff I guess. Life, my life here in the position that I have. I enjoy these days. It makes you feel good to know that you have accomplished something. Yesterday , for the Lord, today for the US Military.






Lord God, Thank you that today, this lift went safely and there were no further incidents. Thank you for the skills that my men had and their aboility to come together to complete this mission today.

1 comment:

  1. I appologise for the d0oubled up pictures and for the spacing today. I just couldn't get it to work right.

    ReplyDelete