Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Amos 3:3

Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

Amos 3:3


No! In the simplest form two can not walk together except they be agreed. They must determine the common interest or goal. They must have something that brings them first together and then keeps them moving in the same direction. They must have some common understanding or they will move apart either slowly or quickly.


Since I have come to Christ catherine and I have walked together in agreement. That does not mean that every descision is perfect and that we are on the same page but that our purposes are one. We are both focussed on our relationships with God and our walks with Jesus Christ and in that we have a common goal. Each of us trust the work of the Holy Spirit in each lives, as Peter tells us, and with that we walk together. We walk in agreement in this way.


When I cam to Afghanistan Catherine and I were in agreement that we were in Gods will and this is where I would be for the year. We never questioned that it wasn't and that through whatever happened He would bring good from this. that He would bring us to a place He wanted us to be. That He would show us the things that He wanted us to see as He was in control of our walks.


With me here Catherine has had to support the majority of the household duties. I know that her workload is greater than mine, her responsibility for the families well being tremendous. Catherine has maintained the household, the kids, the homework, her own work and support of me and this is something that I do not think I could have done if our roles were reversed. She has seen her this as what God has had her do and thus far she has done it well.


For me, I have had to live seperated from my home and family, all of my friends and those in the Church that I love. I have had to live according to what Jesus has called me to do and have seen more in this time then I ever could have imagined. I have learned the true meaning of the things of our Gospel, discipleship, small group, small community and personal dependance on God and the filling of the Holy Spirit. I see the glory of God and the working in my life, I see my Ministry forming everyday and how this time was a blessing of God.


In our marriage we walk together and in our faith we walk in the same understanding and I am seeing now how God works things out for the good more and more. See, and you can read earlier blogs if you like, I have had to learn to rely soley on God since I have been here for my strength. Every ounce of me, everyday is drawn back home, but everyday I must purpose to remian committed and strong and stay here. I do not relay in my heart on a single man, or woman, to keep me happy or filled as ultimately they will all disapoint me.


So you know, I do not even rely on Catherine for that as she also will disapoint me, as I would her. I don't rely on Frank, or Ethan, David, Gary or Chris as each at some point will do something that is not within my expectations. Only Jesus Christ can provide me what I need to get through each day. Only Jesus Christ can guide me, and heal me, console me. Only Jesus Christ won't fail me.


Small group, Discipleship, Small Community based on the expectation that those with you will give you what you need, solely, is wrong. Small group based on a pure outpouring of the Holy Spirt within you to thiose that are with you is what it should be. Giving every ounce of yourself to others in the Love as the Gospel describes is what we are to do. Expecting only to give and not recieve from others is what we must do, Small group is to build the relationship that is formed individually, it is the watering of the seeds, iron sharpening iron through loving friction. Our filling, our stability and well being can only come from the Lord.


In Gods way, He has worked His plan accordingly and slowly Catherine and I, 7,000 miles apart are finding the same message be taught to us in our lives. For me, it was like opening the door of a blast furnance the first day I arrived in Country. "You must do this with only me" for Catherine the process has been slower. Her path to this same common understand has taken her through many places, many peeks and valleys, easy trails and difficult dark forests. She has realized that those that should be there, are not. That those that were expected to lend support did not. Those that are to be the examples will fail also. That the trueset of forms, the most consistant in their walk, the only example is Jesus Christ.


So now Catherine and I walk together. We are agreed that neither of us can fullfill everything for each other in the same way that Jesus Christ can. We know that those around us, our Christian Brothers and Sisters, are as fallen as we are and therfore can not be the source of anything more than fellowship and watering of the seeds we sow with the Lord. That we must only expect from others that they hopefully continually point us to Christ as anything more than that can't be. God has brought Catherine and I to the same point of conntentment, only in Him, in the way in which He wanted.
For us we have walked seperate paths but in the same direction. We have started at the same point and now come back together in the same Common knowledge. The Lord again has used this journey to bring us deeper relationship with Him. As we both continue to seek Him we will continue to walk together.
Lord Jesus, be our One and Only, our All in All. You are truly the only one who can give us the things we need. You are the only one that will not disappoint us. You are the only one that will fill us when we are empty. Let us rely only on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment