Sunday, October 24, 2010

What Message

"Children are the living message that will be carried out to the generations you will never meet". What will your message be? This was a quaote used in yesterdays sermon at the Chapel. i am sorry that I missed who said it but I pondered this one for a while. Then I placed it on my Face Book message for the day with the added question, what will your message be?

This kinda cuts into the bone if you are me. Anybody that knows me knows that I struggle with, rightly or not, of what kind of father I was and what that may have ment for my children. I also get caught up on what my legacy will be when I am gone. I never cared of either until I was Saved, almost four years ago. I only ever really cared about myself and be dambed all. Once saved though this is my biggest concern. (I won't say worry). I think it has to do with what I know was my biggest sin.

So you know me so what about you. Maybe stop here and also ponder this statement. What is the message that your children will carry to the generations that follow them about you?

For me now I am working very hard to be a Godly man and an example to my children because I have no better example to be then that which Jesus Christ shows me. I am smart enough now to see that, and Frank reiterates this often in His Discipleship (see Frank Discipleship does work). I won't be perfect, I was very far away from it four years ago, but He is so I hold myself up to His standards. I must now teach my children to look towards Him and hopefully they can see aspects of that in me.

I also want them to know me, who I am from my perspective not just from theirs. This has come from a fabulous journal that my Brother David gave me when I left. "A Fathers Legacy", 365 days of questions regarding my life that I can write the answers to in my own words. This will be a gift to them and to the Generations mentioned above for as long as they can keep the record.

So the living message that my children will carry will ultimately be three fold as I can see it. First, what I have shown them from my life, my words and my actions. S best as I can do it and as often as I can. Secondly, their memories of me. Their perspective of the father that I was, my words, my life. I can not do anything for this other than what I do in the first. Lastly, my writing and journals, things that they can take with them. Tangible items that will reflect me, inside and out.

So ultimately what will that say about me? Was I just a big self absorbed jerk who didn't care about anybody else? Was I a quiet man who just helped others humbly and graciously? Loving father that always had time or always was on the go and didn't show any love? Will they tell the stories of you with enthusiasm or remorse? Will your life be enough for them to inspire others as they speak of it? This list can go forever and only time will tell.

I know the standard as I mentioned before that if I can achieve will answer all of the questions that ever arise in this regard. Jesus Chrsit. If I can continue to be sanctified then I will continue to be a positive reflection of Him and in that be the more perfect example then I am now, and that I was before. Through Christ, I am made perfect so therefore my message that my children will carry out to the generation I will never meet can be that He tried to live as Jesus lived. that from everything they gathered, and saw. From everything they wittnessed and read that I tried to show Jesus in his life. That would be a great message.

What will your message be?

No comments:

Post a Comment