Friday, October 29, 2010

Opportunity to Show the Narrow Gate

Chandel is becoming stronger and stronger in the Lord everyday. I am amazed at how well he understands and remembers what he is reading in the Bible and places it in His heart like a treasure. I also have confirmation of that as he is under pressure from the Musslim Imam to move from Faith in Christ to the Religion of Islam.

Last night we sat and discussed Matthew 7 together. It would become apperent in a few minutes, God's timing, as the last verse we looked at was Matthew 7:13 -14, "The wide and Narrow Gates". We talked about the difficultly that could be faced following Christ Jesus in our lives. We spoke how the world wants things easy and Chandel referenced gambling and drinking. We saw how Jesus is the only way and the rewards were not here on earth but in heaven to come.

So around 20:15 we looked to wrap up and pray when Hassan and another man came to Chandels bed. If you don't recall, Hassan is the Imam for the men who work here at the camp. Hassan also works for me. He is a very well versed man and in my opinion has as much interest in converting people to Islam as I have in bringing people to Faith in Jesus. He has, since the day he found out that Chandel became a Christian, been trying to convince Chandel that he should not follow Jesus. Chandel tells me that everyday he has discussions with him at their work site.

Hassan realized very quickly that we were having a Bible study and at first tried to excuse himself appologizing for the interuption. I immediately asked him, and Chandel followed, to sit with us and talk for a bit. I knew why he had come but I asked anyway if he needed time with Chandel. He said no but lingered with us so I again asked him to sit with us and I moved to the foot of the bed, pointing to the chair.

Hassan stayed standing, and asked me if I ever read the Koran. I have not, and I answered that I hadn't. He then smiled and said "Oh, you should, I have an english translation that I can give you." I know well enough that as we beileve that faith comes through hearing, so do they. They weigh more heavily on actually hearing the Koran in Arabic. I graciously accepted his offer as I believe that the only way that I will be able to wittness Jesus to this man is by he and I to have ligitimate open discussions of our faith.

Of course, with his offer I asked if he had ever read the Jihil "Gospel" as I placed my hand on my Bible. "Oh, yes. I read it." with a smile. The "Jihil" our Gospel is considered one of the Muslims Holy Books. It is about Jesus, their 24th Prophet. They believe however that Christians over time have distorted the words of Jesus to make a God rather than just a Prophet. To the Muslim there is only one God, Alla and worshiping more than God is the ultimate sin. Therefore we sin because to them we worship more than one God.

So, Hassan, as I would have done if I were him, began to explain the Koran and it's translations. What the copy he was going to give me was and why it was good to read. That it was the "best translation other than the original Arab." Sound like a familiar comment to anybody. Muslims also believe that best version is the Arabic version because anything away from that is flawed in the translation. In his explination he made an interesting comment. He stated that if you look at the words that are spoken in our Gospel you will see under close scrutiny that they can't be the Word of God. "God wouldn't have said those words".

So, here I am praying my rear end off, I know well enough to put these things into God's hands. I asked the Spirit to speak into his heart through my words as we continued on. The conversation at this time did not go very deep. I did reiterate to Hassan that I would love to sit and discuss these things with Him in more detail. At this point I do not want to debate with him becasue that will not gain me anything. I will just simply converses regarding our faith and wait for the opportunities to highlight the differences and why Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the light.

Hassan left after about twenty minutes and this gave Chandel and I some time again to speak. As I turned to Chandel he was smiling and said "Sir, he is always talking to me about Islam. He is very fanatical!" I told Chandel that Hassan doesn't want him to be Christain, which he agreed. He foloowed up however with "don't worry, he will not change me. I ask him why Muslims are always the ones who cause trouble." Not my words but his. He explaine that Hassan and he are always speaking but that it will not work, he is with Jesus. I'll give the Amen.

At this point I went and brought a book that I had bought before I came back from R&R, "Breaking the Islam Code". Basically, it lays out very practicle ways of speaking with Muslims based on what Muslims that have been saved say was the reasons the converted. I gave this to Chandel and said that maybe we both should be reading it at this point so that we can discuss with Hassan in practicle ways the differences of our faith. Chandel was happy as he loves to read and I think was happier that he would be able to speak with Hassan better.

We talked about how it would a tremendous blessing if Hassans heart were to change. If he were to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior how tremendous that would be her in the Camp. We prayed for this. We prayed that the Lord would work through us and that our words would be His and help soften Hassan's heart.

I have been moving towards an opportunity such as this since I arrived at the Camp. I am nervous in one sense and excited in another as these moments are what makes my time here well worth it all. There is no other purpose for us as Christians than to serve the Lord in our lives in whatever way He calls us.

Please pray for Chandel and I that we may continue be used by Jesus as we stand for Him. Pray that we each have compassion and grace as we demonstrate Jesus' love to Hassan and that Jesus is the Messiah and that He is the only way to the Father. As Matthew 7:13 -14 states, Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you have wisdom in this. much careful reflection and prayer rather than knee-jerk shooting from the hip. the gospel is so much more than "words" and debate.

    ReplyDelete