Sunday, October 17, 2010

My First Evening

I was able to spend time with Chandel last night for the first time in two weeks. I had bought Him a new Bible, an NLT Study Bible, and we spent the first few minutes talking about how to use this. I explained that when he and I could no longer sit together he would be able to continue to learn on his own. That this would be a valuable tool for him as he matured as a Christian.

We were also able to sit and pray together and read a devotional. This happened earlier in the evening before I tried to sleep. Unfortunately, again as I lay down my mind went back to the time away from the family and the things that I will be missing while I am away. I lay in bed for a while just Praising God agian and praying my heart out. What made it worse last night, however' was that I was also wrapped up in the fact that I knew I had to sleep so that my mind was not so vulnerable but that I was not able to do so. Kinda a double whammy of sorts.

So after a few phone calls to Catherine, she is my go to person, I tried again to fall asleep with no success. I went to Chandel, as he was reading his bible and sat a few minutes with him. He had been reading Ruth and was still awake. As we sat he stated that he liked the new Bible, and the notes at the bottom. They helped him better understand what he was reading. He seems to pick up very quickly the things he reads which I think will benefit him tremendously in the long run.

He also spoke of his family and paticularly his father. His father is a devout Hindu and even though he allows Chandel to have his new faith he still does try to influence him subtley. Chandel , from what I can tell respects his father and does not try to argue with him about faith but he so wants his father to understand his life. We did speak of how Chandel could speak to him and how he could tell him about Jesus, along with him being an example to his father of how Christ was working in his life. Chandel does want his father to know Jesus and I believe looks forward to wittnessing to him and the rest of his family.

We also spoke of a recent rocket attack, last Monday, and how the two rockets had landed just outside the Hesco's near our tents. He indicated some fear in the possibilities of this happening again and my fear rose a bit as I thought also of what was realy happening here in Afghanistan. These types of things bring you back into focus of the job at hand and the risks.

After a while with Chandel I laid down again. Mind wondering some but slowly I slipped into sleep. Throughout the night I tossed and turned and woke briefly but I was able to get a good six hours in. Thie morning brought a shower and a shave so I am all in all a little better off then I was yesterday.

It is good to be here and back with my friends and brothers. It was better to sit with Chandel and begin to sharethe Gospel again. It strengthens me to be able to teach him and in another way it is good that he is teaching me.

I praise God for Chandel and his steadfastness to his faith. He so easily could have given up or waivered but he does not. I know that he has found Jesus and has faith that He is the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment