Saturday, August 21, 2010

Work, with no pay!

Ok, I don't know if this one will get me in trouble but it is definately what is on my heart today so here goes.

As you may know if you are following my Blog, the men in my tent are primarily DFAC workes, cooks and kitchen helpers from Napal. They are sub contractors and were hired through a company in Dubia to come here and work. Most of the men spent a month in Dubia so that the Visa's could be worked out to get them here and then they were brought in here 23 days ago to take over for the old contractor who lost the contract to us.

Understand something, most of these men come here because it is the only options they have to take care of their families. Here they can make three times the money they can make at home which equals around 12,000 dollars a year, tops. They are limited to their access to phones and internet so even speaking with their loved ones is brief at best.

For the last few weeks the men have been working and doing their jobs. The have trained with the workers that will be leaving and now work 12 hours a day like the rest of us. They are very thankful to be working as the first couple of weeks they did nothing but wait to start working. Up to now, however they do not have a contract, they don't know their wages, and they have not been paid at all!

They stopped me today and expressed, that they are very concerned with this. Their families are waiting for money and they have none. They are working for nothing at this point, and it is effecting them emotionally. Almost two months without pay, some prabably longer, and one month working for nothing.

I told them that they would have to speak with their Agent and see what he said. I also suggested that they speak to the Camp Manager and let him know the situation and see if he could do anything. You could tell that they were distraught and almost helpless. One of my tent mates BK, said his heart is very sad and he is very concerned for his family, his head held low.

As I left them my heart was very heavy. I feel bad for them as I know I would not be here for one more minute if I could not support my family. All I could think is, what could I do, how can I help? It tugged on me as I thought for now this is slavery. The men can't afford to go home and there is no other option for them so theystay and work for nothing.

As I returned to go in my office I turned and went over to the Camp Managers office. I figured at least I could let hom know there was an issue. He would certainly want to know that there was an issue in his Camp, right? Nope, "not our concern, have them talk to their boss". I am amazed that in just a brief blowoff that their is such a lack of concern, of compassion for these men. Any ExPat would be furious with this if it were him, they actually get upset at smaller things than this yet, it is not his concern.

I am struggling with my next step. What do I do from here. We are asked to fight for the poor and weak. To stand for what is right and just. Here it is in my face. Maybe not the big issue that will change the world but something that must be fixed. I am however partially scared which is what bothers me also. Why be scared, what harm is there in helping, it is the right thing to do. I don't know!

We don't get to see this at home. This is the appitomy of human nature and from what I see a tottal lack of caring. I pray for these men and this situation and hope that it will work out correctly for all. I pray that I may be able to help them in some way. I ask the Lord to guide me and that my actions and words be honorable to Him.

Please pray for this situation and know that not everything in this world has changed. In many places people are still used and abused. This is not horrific but it is not right.

1 comment:

  1. I find the junxtaposition interesting between this post and your previous one.

    The last one - dealing with prayer and meditation and practicing the presence of God. Ah, yes! Now you are talking my kind of religious turkey! I sit cross-legged on the floor of my humble monastery cell and I breathe in deeply. I can smell the frankincense wafting through the air vents and I hear the intonations of other hooded monks behind the walls. Yes, brother Mike, this is good. Let us pray more. Let us retreat to the chambers of our hearts and practice His presence. This is so lofty and highly spiritual our noses might start to bleed. But that is good. All is good, friar Michael. All flows from God our source. The way to God has been revealed to our quieted souls and it is all about prayer and peace and inner quietness and -

    And then you go and write THIS one - all about kitchen workers and poor people being denied their wages and men wanting to provide for their families and what can you do to help....

    Hey, wait! Ain't prayer enough? Can't we just kinda, you know, contemplate the eternal nature of God and practice His transcendent presence and, just, well, kinda forget about the real needs around us?? Can't we just forget about the poor and needy and hungry and the victims of injustice and -??

    Nope. True Christianity - true spirituality - is manifested in our love and concern for others. Jesus walked the dusty roads of the Galilee and met real people with real needs and took time to minister to them. He held their hands and healed their hurts.

    We are to be like Jesus.

    ReplyDelete