Friday, August 20, 2010

Home away from home again.

After six days in Kandahar I made it back home to my home away from home, Shindand. I was finally able to get on a flight on a Dash 8-100 Turbo Prop at 830 this morning. It was actually pretty nice like a little Liear Jet with props. As opposed to the helicopter of the first flight in to Shindand this was about a third of the time and flew a different route.

I call this a home away from home as it does feel like my space, my place where I now reside. I looked forward to returning here and being in my bed and sitting at my desk. Everything that I have, that I did not carry with me is here. My return in a way felt comfortable.

It is however only my home away from home. I still long for the return to my own home in the States. The place where my family is, and my heart is. I do not want to allow this place, Shindand, to ever feel the same as my home in New York, that thought actually scares me. I don't want to be that comfortable in this place.

A home is filled with Love and familiartity, things that bring us comforting memories, articles that we have saved that we cherish. Here I could leave with nothing and be ok. A home also has our families, those most precious of things. They are what most of us need most. They are what remains in our heart where ever we go.

I pray for the Lord to settle me down, to allow me to come back here and begin my job again. I pray that I realize that He is ever present with me and that I may fil my heart with Him. I pray for my family, always.

Be blessed and when you walk into your home tonight look at the things that you have, look at your family and be thankful that you are there.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a good analogy for earthly life(Shindand) vs. heaven(home). We don't want to become too comfortable in Shindand and let "home" fade from our conscious thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good you got back . I know you were bored to tears (well, not that bored I guess)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary,

    I did not look at it that way but you are correct. It is soo easy to allow things around us to draw us away from the Lord and our walk with Him.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pop,

    Yes it is nice to be here and have something to do everyday. I did get alot of reading done while in KAF and I think I shed a tear or two.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete