Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Seth

Bunker Cross, The walls of the bunkers are poured concrete here at Shindand.




Yesterday I went to noon prayer at the Chapel. Becasue Chaplin Johnson is on R&R it has been just the Chaplins Assistant Richard and I there for the hour. As I walked up though there were two Soldiers sitting on the porch. The doors were still padlocked so I asked the two if it were ok that I sit and wait there until Richard came to open up. They stated that they were just sitting there talking so it was ok if I sat with them.

Now I have never met these men before and they continued to have their conversation for a few minutes while I sat and began to relax and pray a bit in my head. Within a minute or two one of the Soldiers stood and left leaving me and the second Soldier together on the porch. He was a yong man probably in his mid twenties, tall and lanky.

Almost immediately he began with a hello and a conversation started from there. He asked me what I did, and then explained his job to me, and finished his description with and I don't know what I will do after I get out. He ended this thought with, "but I trust God, that he will show me wherre he wants me". A smile came to my face as I said amen. Now here I am thinking here is an opportunity for me to speak to this young man, just as had happend with Matthew a few weeks ago, but that was not the case.

I barely spoke. He began to speak so freelyabout Christ in his life and his faith in God, not knowing anything about me. I listened intently and occasionally would prompt more of his thoughts by my brief statements of agreement or confirmation. He then spoke of his dying father, a man who has pankriatic cancer. He stated that they have known for a while now and that he will die before he is able to go home but that he was ok with this as he knew that his dad would go to heaven. There was a strength in his voice and in his face.

"You see" he said, "before I left to come here I was able to talk to my father and he accepted Jesus Christ as His Lord and Savior". He explained that one night a few days before he had left he was at his parents house. His wife was inside and his father was alone on the back porch. As he went to go sit with his wife he saw his father and thought it would be best to go to him as he would not have too many opportunities left to sit with him.

He described His father as a good man who said he believed in God. He said that his dad felt that he would go to heaven as he hed a good life. He was not a church goer and other than his own feelings of God did not do much more spiritually. The young man explained also that he had never had too many conversations with his father as his dad didn't want it pushed on him. That he didn't need to know or change his ways as he was ok.

The young man sat that night and wittnessed to His father, that now that he was dying that he could be assured of his salvation if he accepted Jesus Christ. He explained that Christ died for him, for his sins, and that through Gods Grace he could sit with him in heaven. He also explained to him that Just being good does not get you into heaven, that you must do also what God asks of you. That you must know Christ and accept Him and have in your heart the Faith in Him.

My words may not be exact bur I was just listening to this young man so intently. Such confidance in his voice. No tears for his father just assurance in what he was saying. He said that his father quietly said to him that nobody had ever spoke to him in such a way and explained the gospel so plainly. On the back porch of his fathers house he sat there and allowed the Spirit to speak through him and help bring his father to Christ.

Nobody ever explained the Gospel in such a way to him before! In this mans time of need, as he sat alone on his back porch, contemplated his sons departure and his own death and angel came with the voice of his son. Gods love mixed with this mans son and came out in sweet compassion for him. No fear just love, the love of Jesus Christ.

In these moments this young man showed me such strength and confidence as a Christian. He knew that it was the last chance to save his fathers life and he did not hold back. I cried thinking of my own parents, thinking of the times we have spoke of our faith and how it sounded so similar to this young mans conversation with his father but with a different outcome. I thought about how many more opportunities I may have to give my parents the assurance of Heaven when they pass. I thought what if I have none.

He was the first Christian in his family and has been growing in the Lord for seven years now. He stated that now that his father can not read his Bible his mother reads it to him as she knows it comforts him. In her love for her husband she now reads the Gospel and hears the Word as her husband slowly dies. He sees this as a blessing also as his mother is not yet saved.

This young mans name was Seth, and Seth showed me strength in his wittness. He showed me that we must use the opportunities that the Lord gives us to share the Gospel with those around us. He wittnessed to me with confidence not knowing anything about me. He wittnessed to his dieing father and I am sure would wittness to anyone what Jesus Christ is doing in his life to any that will listen.
We can all learn from this. We can all trust Him more deeply and speak with more confidence to others. Seth told me that the Bible taught Him not to fear any man to only Fear God. This is why he wittnesses so freely, no fear.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful journey the Lord is taking you on. Isn't it great to see how He is at work all over the world! I'm sure that Seth was blessed to be able to share with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    All I could think is I wish I had his gift of wittness. It was not rushed or pushy. He did not try to out smart me or anything. As I could see He had a true Love of Jesus Christ with an attitude of pure trust in the Word as he spoke.

    ReplyDelete