Saturday, August 7, 2010

Movie Night

Rebar Cross, part of a storage cage.

I decided to have a "Movie Night" with the guys in my tent last night. I figured that it was a good way of bringing everybody together. Also, the Foriegn Nationals are not allowed to have computers here so they are always interested in seeing what I am doing on mine. Some times I will Google their home towns and we will look at pictures. They will point to things and explain where it is from their house and work and such.


So anyway back to "Movie Night" the only movie that I had was Eragon, about Drgons and such, so I used that. I set the computer up on the desk and put two chairs out for the first two guys. We quickly realized that the speakers on the computer just would not overcome the tent noise from the wind and the airconditioning unit outside. I ended up putting on the subtitles and off we went.


Within a few minutes several other guys came and gathered around and began watching the movie. there were three on the top bunk above me. Three on the bed behind me. Three on the two chairs next to me and several standing behind looking over the shoulders. Everybody had their angle on it and if somone move, even slightly, it caused disruption.


The other thing I noticed is they spoke to each other often during the movie. Somone would interperet, or someone would read the subtitles in English to the rest. There was a continual low talk that went on during the entire movie. I thought of the contrast at home when someone speaks usually the others in the room shush them. Here that was not the case.


I fell asleep. They have a sense of respect for me as a Boss that I can get them past so nobody sat on my bed. They would not even sit in front of the bed. So because of this I spread out and laid down. That combination for me is dangerous, movie, laying down always equals sleep. So next thing you know the movie is over. I am woken up by the noise of the men moving.

As we spoke the man asked if we could look to get some speakers and do this again. They enjoyed being together and watching a movie. They said that if they had to they would all chip in a few dollars and buy the speakers. They also asked for some action movies if possible.

I couldn't help but think of Frank speaking on Sundays about small community and fellowship. How forming bonds and coming together in community is so important. Although I did not do a bible study or give a sermon I was able to join in these men in a small community. We came together for a common purpose and our differences culturally and religously went away. I look forward to continuing in this process.

We also should look to small community to build in Christ. We should look for opportunities to come together and invite those that are different from us to also join with us. We should continually look for our opportunities to be a light.

2 comments:

  1. Movies are such a powerful means of communication. Want us to gather and send you a few DVDs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. David that would be very nice. I would certainly appreciate it and I am sure they would also. Catherine has the address here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete