Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What's Your Money?

Beam Cross, taken back at Kandahar Air Field. This supports the upper decking on the second floor living area.


I read in His Utmost For His Highest this morning the devotional that made me really think about this continual ache that I have for going home. It was actuall the second part of yesterdays devotional which concerns Luke 18:22 and 23, the Rich young ruler.

Yesterday, Luke 18:23 "Yet lackest thou one thing; sell all that thou hast, and come follow Me". Now Jesus is speaking to a Rich man who in his heart believes that he has done all that God has commanded of Him. That he has follwed every command and therefore he is in the right place with God. Jesus however throws him for a loop, and finds the one thing that this man won't let go of. Not that it was his money but that it was one thing that sat in this mans heart that he was keeping him from completely following Jesus.

Today, Luke 18:24 "And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful:for He was very rich". You see in this, the man knew it was the one thing that he would not give up. The one thing that was ever present in his heart that kept him from the next step of his devotion to Christ. Jesus was simply saying "what about this?" The man knew it was a sticking point for him. He became sorrowful for this, in what? The idea of giving up his money or the fact that he wasn't completely devoted to Christ?

The point that Oswald Chambers makes comes forth in this one sentence in the devotional "Are you more devoted to the idea of what Jesus wants than to Himself?" Wow, read this again, "Are you more devoted to the idea of what Jesus wants than to Himself?" Please let that sink in as I did this morning. I always assumed that the parable was about money, it is about true devotion. Ask yourself the question over and over again and see what the answer is.

For me, the ache that I feel about going home is my money right now. It is something that stays in my head and in my heat that I just won't give up to Him. I have the idea that He has me here for a reason but I fight that by expressing on my face and in my words that there is something more important to me than that purpose.

If He has me here for a reason than I should be fully engauged here. I should trust in Him that my family is ok and that He also has a reason for them to be without me now. I should realize that my friends will be ok and that it is not important that I be sitting next to them as He has a purpose and a reason for them also. I should, similar to fasting fasting, not express the discomfort to those that may not understand, to the public. I must show strength in my trust of the Lord. I must give up the longing for home so that I can "Follow Him" as He asked me to.

In this one thing I have found that I am more devoted to the idea of why God has me in this place than just in that He does have me in this place. I have followed Jesus here, He has now turned and asked me about my "money". He has asked me to be devoted to Him fully when I have not. When will He turn and ask you? What will you see? Wat will your answer be?

Lord, I pray that each person that reads this today sit before you and honestly answer your question? I pray that we all become devoted to you and not just the idea of you. May each person be blessed by their own journey and experience You fully today.

No comments:

Post a Comment