Saturday, August 28, 2010

My walk today.

Today I am just drawing a blank in my thoughts. Sometimes this occurs and I am able to go for my walk, read my devotional and by the time I come back to the office I have a good idea of the path the Spirit is taking me on. Today that is not the case. My walk was full of many distractions and my mind was held in the things of this world at every turn.

As I left breakfast I headed down to the flight line to drop off several new training Licenses for the men down there. They had recieved training back in June and never were given the licenses that accompany the training. As I went over the wall, a Dash 8-100, the same plane that flew me here was coming in for a landing. It made me think for a moment of Chandel as he rode in on that plane with me. As I watched it land I headed to the PAX Terminal to leave the Licenses for the Supervisor to distribute. A few brief words with the Air Force Sgt. who works days and off I went.

On the way out of the airfield, I walked up to the gate and asked the ANA Soldier if I could get out. I didn't know that he was kidding at first but he didn't open the gate. He just spoke and looked at me funny. I tried to be pleasent and ask how he was doing and he just kinda looked at me and my badge. Finally he smiled, said goodmorning and opened the gate. I was headed into the common area of the base where the ANA mostly live and work. As I walked I watched a Platoon of them marching in formation.

I thought for a few minutes of the relationship here between the US and the Afghan National Army. It is a balance from what I understand as we are here as their guests. The US Army can not set up permenant structures or anything on concrete. As we build the East side facility the Army will move over there and the ANA will come into the area we are in now. Eventually the Afghan Air Force will move in and operate out of this base. Tensions can be up a little from time to time with incidents but as I figure just be nice to them and I will be ok.

I had to go over to the materials yard to look at some signs that were knocked down yesterday by our crane during a lift. I was told that it happend during the moving of the crane but came to find out it was duing the lift. No serious damage as the signs here can not be driven into the ground very far, but they were knocked over. Any damage caused by the crane has to be investigated as it is a critical machine and very dangerous by nature.

On the way out, now this is a secret, I stopped and saw the mommy cat and the little kittens she just had. Her name is Sweety, and she is fed by some of the workers. Sweety is just a little thing and she had five kittens the other day. Thank goodness as she looked like a balloon. She is kept a seceret as the Military frowns opon, heavily, animals kept on the base. So a few minutes watching her chew on some steak and off I went back to the base.

This was the time that I read Utmost For His Highest, my daily devotional. I will recommed it for anybody that wants to chew on some spiritual steak every morning. It is always good and I find myself pondering each line as I walk. It struck me today as I looked back towards the gate into the American compound that I was reading the Word of God, in a sense, in the middle of Afghanistan. I also thought as I walked past the ANA Soldiers, should I put this away as it looks like a Bible. I just walked and showed my badge and continued reading as I went past the back side of the DFAC. I have made a complete circle now from where I started.

As I walked up past the Refer Units, these are refrigerated container, I began to see my old tent mates. I could see Gopaul in the distance with BK and the others. This is there area, the DFAC warehouse. Even though it is outside it is still called a warehouse. I saw Abar who was the Nepali who is a Christen and can not speak English very well. He came up and and very soft said "I Church today" and smiled. I asked if he was coming today? and he shook his head yes. This will be his first time, as he was afraid because of the language gap. This warmed me up and is a blessing to me.

As I continued on I stopped to see Gopaul and the guys. Gopaul was wearing a new pair of boots and he was very happy for them. We spoke of their new tents and that they were all split up. They indicated that they missed the old tent and all of us being together. I reinforced to them that they could have the same thing where they were now if they just tried. That it was not beyond them to make new friends. I said goodbye, and just as I did I heard a familiar "Hello Sir". Without turning and looking I said "Hello Maan". Maan was one of the closer roomates from the tent. I turned and there he was with his yellow dress shows and uniform. I waved. Maan, said good night to me every night just after the light went out in the same way. "Good Night Sir", reminiscent of the Waltons TV Show. I miss that.

As I walked now toward the forklift are I could see Robert and the other Crane guys including Chandel down by the Crane parking area. I figured now would be a great time to see them and discuss some team work issues and the incident with the crane. Chandel walked over Bible in hand and said that today was for Church. Yes, at 11:00, will you come? "If I can sir. Sir, you will teach me one hour a day, I think that would be best. " Yes Chandel, as much as I can. I then spoke with each man individually about my expectatations. I also spoke of their need for Team work. Robert was speaking with the Safety woman about the incident and I went to listen.

There is a big difference in the Safety philosophy I brought from Hess and this one so I am always amazed at what is said. Anyway I have learned to wait until the end and rearrange the expectations and the safety aspects to more align with what I believe should be the case. So you know, I believe that I am as much apart of my mens safety as they are. I am ultimately responsible for each of them and as they work they are responsible for themselves and for meeting my expectations. I offer all of the assiatance I can at any time needed. In review of incidents I look at the facts as they are the only thing that matters and I do not set blame without looking at the facts. As you can tell this is contrary to the common way here.

As the Safety woman drove away I spoke with the men collective about Team work and responsibilities as memebrs of that team. We will see if they can overcome their differences and maintain their safety.

Then I returned to the office and began to write. So here I sit with nothing to say, nothing Spiritualy challenging or deep. Just writing of my walk, writing of the ups and downs and the thoughts and conversation. Contemplating God briefly and war briefly, dealing with my friends and also with my subordinates all along this small journey. I even got to see new life of the small kittens and compassion of man in a place that shows little compassion for anything. I was able to be thankful at times to Him and at other times hearing of others thankfullness for friendship. My mind traveled further that my walk did, but thats ok, it was good.

5 comments:

  1. Michael, good post. I enjoyed this.

    Pop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pop I appreciate it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good writing, Mike. Good reflections. Warm, human.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this Mike. Writings like this help us to better visualize what your experience there is like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You my Brother. Every time I read these things I find more mistakes. I will need to start reading a dictionary (did I spell it correctly?) as I write.

    ReplyDelete