Friday, September 3, 2010

Mutton

Yesterday, I ate Curried Mutton for lunch. I have never had this before and I descided to give it a try. For those of you who do not know it Mutton is goat. In this case male goat as they are not useful for anything but reproductive activities and food. This one became food.

As it turns out, my Crane crew did a job over in the Agricultural Center. The Ag Center is a portion of the new base that is designed to teach locals how to produce more and healthier food. The have fruit treesand gardens, a pond with fish, bees and livestiock. The job was to pull the well pump out of the ground for a repair. As may may think the well is critical in the Agricultural Center. Two of three of the men on the crane crew are Indian and the Ag Center people gave them a slab of fresh Mutton when the job was completed.

With this I was invited to Curied Mutton for lunch. Now one thing about this is that before we left the states we were warned that Americans do not have the ammunity that some other countries have against parasites and things in local meat. We were not to eat the meat! Oops. I did worry about this, I even expressed to the men that I could only have a little, figuring that would lesson the potential impact of any parasite. Well, let me tell you, once I saw the meat stew and the rice, I took a full plate. I couldn't help it and it was delicious.

I am still waiting for the first sign of trouble. Catherine was not happy with me either as some of the parasites are not friendly and can seriously harm you. But man was it good, I told her. NBetter than any DFAC food I have had yet. Spicy, hot, curried, perfect rice and flavor, MMMMMMMMMAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I was amazed that all of this and in a crock pot to boot.

Right before I was invited for a different dish today, the Singh asked if I was feeling ok in my stomach. I guess he understood my concern. I told him so far so good and I would see what happens. I then asked him if 1:00 was good again today. He smiled.

I am only doing this once and want to experience all I can. I want to see and do and be as much as possible. There is no sense in me just sitting and being one of the Americans here who could care less. This is the time for me to know about all that God has layed out for me here other than just as a wittness to him.

Sorry Catherine, "Mutton, It's what's for lunch!"

2 comments: