Sunday, September 19, 2010

Matthew 4:19

"Follow Me", He told them, "and I will make you fishers of men!" I was thinking about this verse this morning. I think about it allot. I believe that these simple words, more than a request to just the Disciples, is a request for each of us in our Christian walks. Each day we should ask ourselves, am I willing to follow Jesus today? Can I place myself in a position, in a state of mind to drop everything, as the Disciples did and Follow Him?

Generally we start our days with Devotions and Prayers. We want to be right with the Lord, have the word of God in our minds, be ready to face the world, but do we set our minds to truly "Follow Him" for the day. Do our prayers commit to this simple request by committing to do what is asked of us in His name. Are we willing to change our plans for others, or keep our tongue when we get aggrevated at the kids. If we do then, we have passed the easy things!

For me many times "Following Him" is the after thought of my day. As I work my mind is on work, and as I have time I am able to commit to Him. I think even with that that I have done well, I was able to walk with Him for half the day. I prayed three times and spoke the word to somone once this evening. But does that get to the essence of what Christ means when He makes His request?

I believe that verse 4:20 shows us that it is not. Immediately they left their nets and followed Him. Anything that was of their old self was left. Their business, the assets, their families. they left this in order to be with the Lord continually. This applies to us in the same way. not that we are going to actually leave everything tomorrow morning, but are we going to leave it so that everything we do we do for Him? Can we devote ourselves as Christians, to be Christains every day of our lives, every minute. It is difficult, yes, but not impossible.

Each morning we must strive not only to have our devotions and prayers, but to reset our commitment to "Follow Him" throughout the day. To set our hearts to continually reflect on how well we are doing in this endevour. To we chose something of the world or do we drop it, as if our nets, and immediately leave it for Him?

Our goal in life, the reason that Jesus calls us in this way is so that we may see His example and use it as a berometer to our lives. We have one advantage over the Disciples, they did not get to see the entire picture as we do. We know everything that happens through the benefit of the Gospels. We know what is expected of us, what will happen to us, the outcome of our faith.

Place this commitmment into your mind. Every moment ask if you are following your Savior. Are you doing the things that He has shown you through His example. Are you giving up the things of the world so that you are not drawn away from Him? Are you returning to Him when you do not follow and correcting the things that went wrong? Are you asking for forgivness when you tottaly forget about Him?

Ultimately Christ wants us to becoming like Him. He wants us to shine His light through our lives. He wants us to live with the power of the Holy Spirit guiding us and the Power that is given to as our inheritance as a Child of God. We are to live in the knowledge that through Jesus Christ, we are set free from the World. That we can immediately leave everything and Follow Him in our lives and that we will be ok. Don't doubt this request. Don't doubt that you can live for him and be devoted to Him in all that you do.

Today ask often, am I following Him? Am I leaving the little thing, the big things of this of this World behind so that I can become more like Him. Am I honoring His simple request, "Follow Me"?

No comments:

Post a Comment