Friday, September 10, 2010

The End of Ramadon.


This photo is of the Muslim DynCorp Employees. We are standing outside of the Prayer Hall in the Afghan Army Compound. I have some other picture that I will post tomorrow.


To start off if you are reading this post realize that there is a second one, "How?" just below this one also. If you don't see it go to the Post List on the right hand side. You get an expanded addition today!

You have probably heard back in the States that today is the Eid, which is the last day of Ramadon. This marks the end of the Fast for the Muslims and is a day of prayer and celebration.
Mohammad, the man standing to my right (your left) is one of the Administrators that work for me here at Shindand. I had asked Mohammad several weeks ago if he would be willing to speak with me about the Muslim faith as I planned on being a Pastor and felt it would be helpful for me in my studies. He agreed and on several occasions he would tell me about his faith, and occasionally ask me about the Christian Faith.

As Ramadon came to a close, he and his fellow Muslims began to prepare for Eid, which as I said above marks the end of Ramadon. They bagan to collect money that would go to a local family as a gift and also to buy food for their celebration. Mohammad had asked if I would donate some money which I did and in doing so he invited me to participate in their day. This sounded interesting so of course I said yes. I was actually thrilled that I would experience this with them.
This morning as they gathered Abu asked me to join them. They all had on their best clothes, there head coverings, and were washed and perfumed. AsI approached Abu told me how to say Happy Eid, which I have forgotten, so I could appropriately greet each man. They were thrilled, I was the only Expat there and I wished each of the thrity men Happy Eid. They were very happy for this day.


We begn to walk and I asked Mohammad where we would be going now. He explained that they had made arrangements with the Afghan National Army to go to their compounbd and pray with them. I was nervous and told him that I did not think I shoukld go, and he replied with his smile and said it will be ok you are our guest. So we walked to the Afghan compound and entered the room that would serve as the Mosque, taking our shoes and socks off as we entered. I was excited and nervous and was thanking God for this opportunity.


We entered and it was very basic. Carpeted floor with lines oriented to the East and a small sound system at the front. I just stood for a little not knowing what to do as the men all came in. At first I felt that maybe it would be just us. There were only a few others that were setting up. Them man all sat near the front and I stayed near the back, dismissing their invites to be closer. I only wanted to observe.

Then more men bagan to come. I tried to be pleasant as they looked at me with some surprise. I would place my right hand on my heart and lower my head a bit. Again I began to pray a little for the Lords help in keeping me calm if you will. More and more men came. Afghan soldiers and local workers. Slowly the Mosque was filling and my comfortable spot in the rear was now being filled with people.

I moved to the side in the place that looked as if it woukld be the worst seat in the house. I could feel stares a bit but I continued to pray and be thankful that I was there. Abu must have sensed a little bit of this so he came back to me and sat, asking if I were ok. I said yes but that I was a little uncomforatble. I asked him at that point to let me know if I should leave. He reassured me that he would take care of me and that things would be ok.

The service started in from what I found out was of more of the local dialect than of anything else. Three nmen conducted the service including one Emam. I sat and watched and thought aboutr God bringing me here for a purpose. I cried some thinking that I would have never had this opportunity any other way. I listen and watched and the room continued to fill and my spot became very enveloped in all the men.

I Eventually gave up my spot and moved to the area where all of the shoes had been placed, squatting on the floor. Abu to my right we continued to listen, and I continued to pray. I was now near the enterance so as people entered I was the first thing they saw so I just continued to be respectful and place my hand to my heart and lower my head a little. As this area also became full and men bagan to move to a side room that was not carpeted so we moved in there with them.

Here I was able to remain in the back as the ceremony turned to the actual prayer. Abu wanted me to move to the front with him but I told him that I could not pray ith them and that I would just remain in the back. I watched as they prayed, standing and bowing and then lowering their face to the ground. All I could do is watch and pray on my own, I was thanking God and asking for my nerves to be settled.

At the conclusion all of the men stood and began to shake hands and hug three times. They were very happy. Then one at a time differnent men came and hugged me, the first being an Afghan Army Officer with a thich beard. Then others, did also, one at a time. I just kept trying to say Happy Eid to them but knew I was messing it up. Then my friends came and hugged me, followed by a line of all of them. Each was excited that I had stayed and I thanked them each for allowing me to join them.

It was something that I will not forget. I was in a Mosque at the end of Ramadon, during the Eid prayer, with two hundered Afghan men and soldiers in the middle of Afghanistan. Who would have ever though this in a million years? My God would have, that who. Amazing.

As we exited I was able to take the picture at the top of this post with the guys. Below are several other pictures for you to look at. Be blessed. Do something different. Trust God and the Pwer of Jesus Chrsit to lead your life and you will be amazed at what may happen.

4 comments:

  1. Mike just be careful doing that stuff given this nut case pastor in Florida that is going to burn the Quran. Some riots in protest are already happening in Afghanistan against the USA.

    Pop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pop/Gary,

    It was fantastic! So surreal in a way. I will not fiorget that ever and thank the Lord for the opportunity to be there.

    In the case of the Pastor, this is not my Jesus. This man has put people at risk here for the fancy of what comes down to his selfish pride. We will also have protests at our gates today. We are the only thing American for miles and so we will be come the focus of this mans inability to show the love of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, Because this blog get's e-mailed to me everyday, when I comment on your posts, I usually do it through e-mail out of convenience and time contraints. But I felt I owed it to both you and I do post my comment directly in the blog to share with this group. Most if not all of whom which I have met and have come to learn to respect.

    Mike, as you know I am one of your biggest supporters. It amazes me more and more each day how you have been touched by the Holy Spirit. The transformation of your life and the effect of your "water filling you, and overflowing to others" to take from one of your posts.

    When I first came to Christ, in my thirst for knowledge of how we as Christians fit among the world and among Jews, Muslims etc, I had asked to borrow a Quaran from a muslim co-worker. My thoughts were to learn about how they view their religion to better understand in issues and such between muslims and Christians. When I shared this with you, you had warned me against this. Before I even open the cover, I should not even view this material. For I would be going against the views of our bible for even reading it. At the time I didn't understand and thought your feeling on it was over the top. Nonetheless, I agreed,got rid of it and never read it. Since then, I have come to understand your concern and now that my understanding of Christianity and the Word of God is growing, I understand it even more.

    With all this being said, when I read this post, it brought me back to your concerns and I will tell you brother, I have the same concerns with your observing Muslim holidays. I am an infant in my walk with Christ. I am knowledgable enough now in understanding that we should be tolerant of others that are not like us and show them love, even though not accepting of their beliefs. Though I understand your thought process from your post, I feel you were giving them the wrong idea and that perhaps your friend was trying to introduce you to their ways to "make you see the light" if you will.

    If your friend had attended a Christian service with you, you would be sharing your faith in Christ with him as we are taught to do with any and all believers and non-believers alike.

    Whether this is God furthering your knowledge and preperation for ministry, or satan attempting to try and confuse you as your faith is so strong, you will have to figuare that out. You have said on many occasions, "The stronger our faith is, the harder satan will work to tear us down".

    I love you brother and be safe.

    ReplyDelete