Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I Haven't Talked to Dad for a While!

"I haven't talked to Dad in a while!" As my wife told me that my son had spoken these words to me my heart got heavey a bit. Thoughts of my son as a little boy flooded my mind and then thoughts of how grown up he is becoming came right in after. It is amazing how quickly the mind will remind you of a lifetime of memories.

I remember the day Harrison was born, I can still remember the first moments as his eyes were opened wide and his hands spread as big as he could get them. That evening the Yankees and the Mariners were playing in the playoffs as I video taped Catherine holding him in the hospital bed. Grandma's and Granpa's coming to visit to see him. I barely knew what to do with him as he was so little.

Also as a young boy how he liked to listen to Celtic music and wrestle in the basement. Anna would join us later and we would have to be careful but he would jump from his play box and land on me. We would roll and wrestle until we were both sweaty.

Harrison liked trucks and playing with them on his street carpet. Playing army and being an army man. War movies, and things that I guess at the time were things I liked so he liked tham also. Later it would be baseball, he loved just to play. Winning and losing was not importatnt to him just playing. He would try to be an ispiration to the other players even sometimes to his ridicule but he just stuck with it until it no longer interested him.

He is so big now, tall and lanky, handsome, wonderful paersonality. Somewhere along the way he developed a compassionate heart for others that is just inspiring to me. He puts all he can into the things he loves and works so hard at getting things right. Catherine watched him for years ride his skateboard, attempt after attempt at doing a single trick, he never gave up, never stopped trying until he got it. Then on to the next one. How many times he came and asked us to watch him in the driveway to show us something new.

Now as a young man he continues to let his qualities mature. A love of life and friends. A passion for music and his drums. It adds to his warmth and strong gentleness. I see him love his sister even in times of difficulty and her looking to him as a mentor in times. It is wonderful for me as a father to see.

I am proud of my son Harrison. He is a marvelous example to me and to those around him. I cry when I think of how close he is to moving from my home but at the same time I look forward to the rest of my life with him.

Harrison, I love you so much. You are my son my flesh. You are an example to me of the man I should have been for so many years. Your love of life and of those around you is amazing to watch. My heart aches with our disctance with the time that I am missing with you but I know that over our lives we will share so much more. I ask also that you always first look to Jesus Christ as your guide post in life. Thank Him for the life He has given you as I thank Him for your life He has given me. Be a faithful man and stand tall for who you are as He has made you what He wants you to be.

Know that I love you and becasue of my Love for you I can understand more fully the love of God for us all. Even though we don't speak all the time, it's ok, but if you feel a tug reminding you of me, know that it is the other end of the tug that I feel reminding me of you.

I haven't spoke to my son in a while, but know that you are with me always.

Your father.

No comments:

Post a Comment