Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What Have You Done!

"6 God will give to each person according to what he has done. 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger."


Romans 2:6-8


What have you done? I know some of the things that I have done, actually that is not true, I know all the things that I have done. I can even look back and know why I did them, most probably due to my pride if you break it down to the root of it. I was not concerned with much, when I was doing what I wanted to do, what I thought was good for me. Based on this past my outlook on judgement day would not have been to bright. Heck, I was a good guy according to my standards, and based on the conversations I hear here from some of the guys, I was better then alot of people.


As a matter of fact there is a conversation going on right next to me as I write, regarding prostitutes in the Phillipines and how when when thes emen visited them. Many men stop through the far East on the way back from R&R and just tell their wives that they were in Dubai or somewhere for a few extra days. Lots of other conversations I have heard allows me, in some ways, look at what I was like and compare. This is the inherant problem with not having an absolute truth and following that standard which you choose for yourself.


Anyway, if I was judged on what I was, and given according to what I have done, then I would be in trouble. Gods standards verse mine and I believe that mine would not work out. So think about what you are doing now, in your life, even in your heart and then set it against the absolute truths that are set forth in the Bible. It is an easy read if you have not done so, Exodus 20 is a good place to start. Then maybe jump ahead a bit into Mathew 5 and 6, the Sermon on the Mount. No mind you this is just the beginning but it would start to give you an idea of the expactations that God has set for us.


See the two men that were comparing notes here next to me, they as far as I could tell had no outward issues with cheating on their wives even lieing about it. There was a big dose of pride involved, who had the better story and such but all and all I think that inside they actually are in termoil over their sin but just not willing to admitt it. No before you think I just sat here, when appropraite I interjected my Biblical perspective on what they while they were talking. Specificlly talking about Love and later about eternal seperation from God, hell. Trust me also, these are not unusual conversations here. Given back according to what you have done!


So follow this through to the other side of the equation. To those who by persistance in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, He will give eternal life. Now yes, this does say "doing good" but remember this is from a Biblical perspective so it is in context of God and what he sees as "goodness" not what man sees, we saw that above. the glory is the glory of God, what He has set out for us. the things that will bring us back into relationship with Him. Honor is much the same, but think about if He would honor one that was contrary to Him and His word or one that is moving and living within it? Immortality, well you know as well as I do that man has not found this on his own, immortality can only come through the grace of God and thus He gives those that seek Him fully Eternal Life.


Now no of this says anything about perfection! We, Christians, are not set up to be perfect. As a matter of fact I believe that if I were to walk into a perfect church it would no longer be perfect. I think more of us aught to realize that, gosh even the Pastor is not perfect, sorry Frank. We are only to seek glory honor and immortality, with our hearts, openly and honestly. No other motives then to be with God. The only meaure then is that you are trying earnestly. Believe or don't, walk towards or away that choice is yours, the fina descision is His.


For those that are self seeking, rejecting the truth there will be wrath and anger. The two men that sat next to me, now gone, they are self seeking. Pleasure first, me, me, me! No concerned with their wives and families let alone God. For one of them his Granfather was a Pastor and he grew up with him in the same house. He knews the truth but rejects it for His own more comfortable truth. Any fathers out there that would allow their children to ignore the rules of the house? Any business man that would allow an employee to purposely break the law and jepordize the company?? So why not expect wrath and anger from God because you chose to ignore Him when in the bottom of your heart you accept His existance? that is rejecting, purposely ignoring, the truth.


Now I can't finish without having Christians think about this either. Jesus Christ, who we claim as Lord and Savior, came to and made the Word flesh. He is the embodiment of what God has spelled out for us from the beginning. He calls us to be His disciples oncewe have declared our faith. So why is it that many of us still chose a level of comfort that falls short of His expectations? Bonheoffer describes it as "cheap grace". We are saved so the rest is easy. We can sin because they have been paid for by Jesus. We stop there and want to feel that we are doing our part, wrong! We are called to follow Him. To become like Him in all that we do, not just Sunday, not just so the kids have "nice" friends. Our lives are to look like what Christ asks us to be. Are you there yet? Are you trying to get there, ernestly seeking?


Non Christians, wide path Christians, it is not going to be easy on the day of reconing. These two men that sat so close and conversed about their lives, one said that he would be bored in Heaven because he would not know anybody. I don't know if he will much enjoy the alternative, but if he continues to reject, or not live up to the standards set by God, he will not have an opportunity to change on judgement day. I would not want to see what Gods anger and wrath loks like, would you. Wide path Christians, yes easier times, but definately not what you may be expecting especially if you are just on that side of true heartfelt Salvation.


Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the life, nobody comes to the Father except through me. There in lies the standard for both Christian and non christian, where is your heart and what truth are you seeking?


Lord, convictr each who has read this far to evaluate where they are at in their lives. What is holding them back from moving closer to God? What keeps them from even knowing God and what is there expectation in the end? Allow them breath enough to change if they truly want to. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment