Thursday, May 26, 2011

Those Darn Goodbyes

Now that the end of my time is close I have begun to experience something that I don't like so much but is inevitable, saying goodbye.

In most cases in our lives when we say goodbye to someone it is not a perminant acknowlegment, it is just a way of saying I will see you later.  Here, because people are from everywhere in the world, everywhere in the United States, goodbye in many instances means goodbye.  I dont like thinking that people that have come to mean so much to me I will not see again, so my goodbyes have become very much like any other parting without any hint of being perminant. 

There has been three people in the last week that I have seen for the last time here.  Chances are with at least two that our paths will never cross again.  With one, if I don't cross paths with Him again I will be mad at myself.  I know that over the next three weeks this is going to be a constant reality for me.

Chaplin Sharpe, who has been here almost from the beginning left for good this past Saturday.  His Unit was moved just a few months before he will return home.  As when Chaplin Johnson left it leaves a hole in your heart as these are men that have lead us spiritually, who we have shared ourselves and our faith with.  Men that are our Brothers.  The Chaplin had given us so much here and poured himself into the men of this Camp in so many ways.  He showed us through himself and through his ministries what it means to be a Man of God, he toojk that very seriously.  Holy Smokes and Manly Men's Group were focussed on bringing us together and showing us that we were not just supposed to be femine whimps for Christ but strong leaders of our homes and church. 

My "so long" with the Chaplin was officially at the chow hall where Seth, Chief, Duncan and the Chaplin ate together last Saturday.  We all spoke to him about his impending flight and if he thought he would be at Sunday service.  He didn't think so, as he had already said goodbye there once.  He cleared his plate before the rest of us and left. 

Unofficially the week before a bumped into him at the Post Office, he was shipping out some boxes.  He had been at his new Base for a week and had returned to finish the move.  There we were able to speak a bit about our last year together.  I could not help but get teary eyed.  This man has become a friend and we were parting ways.  We did not say goodbye, as Christians we said, we are always connected and there is alwasy hope in the future.

Pam was one that surprised me a bit.  Pam is retired Army and is one tough woman.  She never took any crud from anyone and I dont think I have ever been scared of any woman like I was Pam.  She is one of the group of us that remain that was here since last July.  There were, until she left only thirteen of us of the original group of Managers and Supervisors.  I didn't speak much to Pam, no more then I had to, and on several occasions had very heated debates.  As I said she was tough.  But in the end, we had shared ten months of the same office space together and in that part of our lives.

Pam left yesterday for a new job in Kuwait. David and I went and met here at the flight line to say our goodbyes and there we had our final moments together.  Now I would have never expected this from Pam, and she never showed this before but as the three of us stood and spoke, she cried, she didn't want to but she did.  I really think that was the most emotion that I had ever seen from her.  But again, as we talk I also felt the enevitable end of this.  We had shared our lives here and now it was ending.  I also felt the emotion of it.  I will most likely never see Pam again but all the same, no goodbyes just so long.

Duncan, only a few month with Duncan and here wwe are already parting ways.  He is one that I will purpose to see again.  He is a Christian Brother and has become a friend over the past several weeks.  We were drawn together by God and our Faith in Jesus Christ and from that we share the same Spirit. In a short time we have shared our lives and our faith, strengthening each other as Christian Brothers, as Fathers and men. There are times in our lives when we meet people that we just connect with, something brings you together.  I believe that God has brought Duncan and I together and over time we will remain friends. Duncan I will see again.

I also have one that will be tough, Seth, the strong young soldier who I met so many months ago.  He wittnessed faithfully to me sitting on the front porch of the Cahpel and I will always remember that of him.  He will be leaving in eleven short days and I will miss him until we meet again. 

This scene is going to play out several times over the next twenty one days.  Over and over again either people, soldiers that I have known will be leaving here or eventually I will be leaving.  Either way it will be endless days of the same instances.  I look forward to my leaving but know that my heart will be left empty several times and there is no way of avoiding it.

Lord, watch over all of as as we part ways.  Bless those that I will never see again.  May we all, always be connected through your Spirit and by your Grace may we see all that we should one day again.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment