Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Outside the Wire

Wow. How excillerating. I was free from this Prison called FOB Shindand for a while yesterday and it was great!

The first time I ever did this, you may recall was down in Camp Leatherneck when Greg, Winbush, The Britt and I all walked to the soak yard about three quarters of a mile outside of the Camp. That was scary to me, every step I was nervous thinking of the worst that could happen. I was green, with experience and with nausea at the time. Sweating, scared, stupid I walked out into the desert.

Yesterday, I went out to look at some tractor trailers that we are looking to lease from an outside vendor. Because they were not actually coming into the base yet they were parked outside the furthest barrier gate. Maybe a few hundred yards out and to the left of the Hesco's they sat just outside of the sight of most of the Guards.

So as I stepped out of the walk through gate, after letting the Army know where I was going, I said a prayer, just for His will, not much else, just that. I walked out along side of the holding area and past the people waiting to get into work for the day. Out past the parking area and up to the Afghan Army Guards who man the outer gate.

I just pointed at the trucks and they nodded and let me pass, like the Army before not really concerned with me going. I walked down around the corner and off to the trucks. People now looking at me a little more, I guess they are just as surprised to see me as I am amazed to see them. There on the left a little shop selling tea surrounded by motorcycles of the workers. Some young kids sitting with their fathers. I was just taking these in.

Within a short distance, I was at the trucks and meeting with the men who had brought them to us, seven in total which was surprising for two trucks. We couldn't communicate, neither speaking the others language, this becomes humorious in a way. We each speak and expect the other to understand but we don't get anywhere fast. To me however it was more than the trucks. I took the opportunity to look around. I looked back on the fanceline and then it struck me for real, I was out.

I interacted with these local men, looking around at the same time. I was just happy and comfortable. Not worrying about anything. It is hard to explain but all I could imagine of the whole scene is that it was how a prisoner felt as he walked out to freedom after so long.

The perspective of the whole thing changed though. Seeing things from the point of view of being outside looking in. the mountains seemed more accessible, the people more real, everything was different. With this perspective I looked out down the road and around to the town wondering what was out there. I also wondered how far I could get!

Yes, the thought crossed my mind as to how far I could get down the road before someone would notice. I wondered if I went to the right instead of the left what would be in store for me out there. I knew the inside of the camp, the outside was new and exciting. I also wondered about how real the danger might be, what the opportunity that was there and if I turned right at the moment when left was the way, how would that change my life.

It may seem strange but as I went back towards the base I thought about this option. I thought that oh what God might do. Could I walk that way in faith and just keep going or would it just end right there, everything just end somewhere down the road. I turned left as I went back, my heart, the adventure coming near an end. I walk back towards the gaurds, showing them my badge they let me pass.

Returning to the Camp caused some dismay. I know what lies inside, I know what it means for me again. It is a return to the safe normalcy of life. The end of the little adventure, conclusion in a sense. I walked back to the gate and looked up at the fifty caliber barrel sticking out of the gaurd tower window. Looking around at all the gaurds with full battle rattle on. Looking at the gate that would soon close behind me.

I was back inside and the trip was over. A little bit of excitment, interatcion something other then the everyday occurred and it felt great. Outside the wire is a wonderful place
I hope to be again someday.

1 comment:

  1. Reminds Me of That Disturbing Scene in DEER HUNTER
    which The Actors are Playing RUSSIAN ROULETTE,...

    2 Corinthians 13:11
    Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in PEACE; and the God of love and PEACE shall be with you.

    Balancing Suffering with Peace & Joy, GOD Willing

    Next Time You Have a Little Testy Walk Out Side The Wire, Leave A Trail of Popcorn, for Me To Follow, When I Come Rescue You...

    And Keep Your Leather Neck Handy,;-))j.xx.

    ReplyDelete