Monday, December 27, 2010

Goodbye to Chandel

I have a feeling that may be the last time I see Chandel in Afghanistan. He has left for an emergency R&R tonight. His flight left for Kandahar at 2030 and he was on the way out as he ran into my tent to say goodbye.

On Thursday last week he had stopped by to talk to me. It had been the first time in a while that we had actually spoke to one another. He had felt that I was angry at him for the issues that we had around the move and me placing him with the water trucks.

While we spoke he told me that he was planning to take an emergency R&R back home. He was planning an R&R in February but had become extremely home sick and was looking to go now. He expressed that he would be back but the look in his face told me differently.

Last night as he was saying his goodbyes I asked him if he were coming back. He paused and then said he did not think so. He would see how it went but didn't think he would come back. My heart sank a bit, a lot maybe. But at that point all I could do was uplift him. I understood the feelings he was having as I have gone through it myself and knew that he would have to descide for himself.

I asked if we could pray and we did. I prayed for him and his travels, for our friendship and his heart. I prayed that we would see each other again and that he would have strength in his faith as he went home as a New Christian, alone. After the prayer I spoke to him about his journey. About how he would need to be strong and that Satan would look to derail him from his path. I spoke about how one day I hoped to see him again, if not here then in heaven.

He took my email address, and said that he would keep up with me. He also said that the sweater that his wife knitted for me was finished and that he would be sending it to me when he got home. We hugged and he left.

I sat and thought for a while if I had done all that I could do for him. I thpought if I had given him everything I could. I was saddened that we had lost valuable time by allowing some of the worldly things come in our way. I can remember the zeal that we bioth had, and how that had run out and we became just, normal I guess. I also thought that in all likley hood I will never see him again. That for me to arrange and travle to his home would be only by Gods grace. I thought that I was losing my friend.

About a half hour later he returned and said he was leaving for his flight. I gave him another hug and wished him well. "Ok, sir, goodbye". I never thought that I would be watching him leave. I thought that I would be first but that now would not be the case.

Chandel is one of the gentlest men I know. His heart was pure. He had never drank, or smoked, or gambled. I never saw him more angry then to just simply look away from you. Never saw him engauge in any type of verbal confrontation. If God were to chose a man to do his work, then Chandel should be His first pick. A man that for most purposes was what I imagine Jesus would be like.

I will miss Chandel. I hope that one day through Him the Lord will be glorified. That he becomes the seed planted in his home that becomes the tree that all can rest under.

Lord, watch over this dear man. Bless his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment