Friday, June 3, 2011

Dinner Fellowship

On day twenty eight of Seths countdown we began to sit and have dinner together each day.  I was somewhere around forty eight days left at the time.  The purpose of the time was to fellowship and lift each other up as Christian Brothers and get through these last days together.  We have all heard , Iron Sharpens Iron, and that is what this was for the most part.  It was also an opportunity to lean on each other in our weakness.

What I did not understand when we started are time together is what Seth was describing to me as the struggles of the short time.  At around thrity days the mind realy starts to focus on getting home and what was easier before become more difficult.  It is like when you see the long distance runners go smoothly through a race and then lunge right at the finnish line to make it just a split second faster.  There also becomes aspects of fear and anxiety that creep in to the mind which start to take there toll on you.  He went through it before I did but I am finding during the days that I am having the same issues myself.

One of the things is just simple fear.  Yes this is contrary to my faith as I should not fear anything becasue He is in control.  I can remember back when I would go outside the gate and I had no reservations of doing so, I trusted fully the Lord in those instances but now, the thought of something happening before I get home does cross my mind.  I was going to spend a week in Kandahar but I have descided to move it down to three days just to decrease the likelyhood of a rocket hitting me.  See, silly fear.

I also am feeling the anxiety of what is to come.  This has not been overwhelming but I return to a new direction in my life.  I return to the journey into Ministry and completing school there are many unknowns for me and my family.  We will move into a place that will require even more dependance on God and what He has planned for us.  As I read about Elijah I understand more fully that the blessings can include a drought for us.  That we will most likely be tested, as we were over this year, in the coming year.  Answers to prayers come in many ways and in many times, His plans not mine.

I also, as I sit with Seth know that just in three days now he will be leaving here.  That our time here together will end and that the next time I see him will be in the States, the time yet undetermined.  He will have, also like the distance runners, made the finish line before me.  It will be another goodbye and that in it self will be difficult.  I have made him promise to come up to Cooperstown and then over to Albany for a visit.  I am lucky that he uis a big baseball fan! 

Seth, I know you are reading this so I want to thank you so much for the friend and Brother that you have been.  I can still remember you wittnessing to me about Jesus Christ some nine months ago on the porch of the Chapel.  I also, jelously recall your testimony regarding bring your father to saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.  You are a striong soldier both for the United States and for our Lord Jesus Christ.  Know that you have impacted my life and for that we are forever connected.  One Spirit one Body in Christ.

So as time moves forward, I will have some ups and downs, Trust me however that the ups are tremendously more abundant then the downs.  I will work through each of them and over the next few weeks begin the final process of my departure.  I will however have some empyiness without Seth, but here the Brotherhood has been strong andothers are there standing along side to lend a hand.  As this next week move on I will try to honor each of them in some way.

If you are struggling lean on the Brothers and Sisters around you.  Seth reached out to me in his need and I responded.  Not only was I there for him but he was there for me.  We will never be able to seeexactly what will come but if we walk together the path becomes easier to navigate.  When we have partners on the walk there is always another set of hands to help bring you up the difficult parts.  Reach out and find those people.  trust them and trust the Spirit in them. 

Where two or more are gathered He is there.

Lord Jesus, thank you for bringing Seth and all of the other Brothers into my life.  thank you for allowing these last twenty eitght days to be a time of tremendous fellowship and an opportunity for me, and others, to lean on each other.  Continue to allow your blessings to shine on Seth and all who make this Camp their home.  Give us all safe travels and bring us together again one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment